What's new

My Flock of Doves

outlawatheart

Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2011
Messages
815
Reaction score
874
Golden Thread
0
Location
Hamilton County IL.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX Spectrum
I haven't posted here for a while so thought I would share my dovetail collection... 11012376_10203343546175782_8917334667754610763_n.webp11040124_408238529336230_1257280993_n.webp the frame is 40x30...I've added a few since this photo. It was my display at the Collinsville Show. The center row are all over 5"
 
Upvote 0
I added these since the show...4 5/8" Hornstone>>hornstone 4.webp4 1/4" Carter Cave very translucent>> DSC01877.webpDSC01885.webp 4 3/4" Coshocton button base>>11008933_10155237714205114_488529381_n.webp
 
Those are incredible! Are they personal finds?
 
only 2 of them are PF's Americus...all but 5 of them are 4" or over
 
Last edited:
Well it's beautiful! I don't blame you for collecting the dove tails and it's cool that you found 2 yourself...maybe someday I will find one but not sure if they are found in my area.
 
Great show of your collection. Got some $ tied up in that frame.
 
I might sound a little ignorant here but I just never understood why so much attraction to that particular type of point?
I mean they hold the title of the most reproduced type of all.. By no coincidence
 
Some real interesting notches on this one.. Imagine how hard that would be to do with antler.

ForumRunner_20150325_211054.webp
 
the damage was cause by it being wired to a board at some time in its life hornstone 3.webp the wire mark shows better here, looks like a break in the point. The iron shows up well under a scope
 
A member here Jeff H. showed his awesome Hixton Dove last year and I was instantly addicted to the type...Provenance and authenticity are very important to me. My doves are from very reputable sellers and collectors. NO FLEABAY!! Several are pictured in a few of Hothems books and the CSA publications. All of them carry triple paper from: Bennett, Jackson's and a lot of older Davis papers, plus I have gotten very good with my scope...and yes I have a few bucks tied up in them...;)
 
Displayed this year? I don't remember seeing those.
 
yes this year..was there Saturday only...I was at a table (not in the Ritter room), and Sat with Richard Koch was just down from where Mitch L. had his hoes displayed.
 
Last edited:
yes this year.. was there Saturday only...I was at a table (not in the Ritter room), with Richard Koch. It was just down from where Mitch L. had his hoes displayed.
 
You have some very nice pieces there sir.

This is my Dove collection. It is the only authentic dove made of KRF that Stermer, Bennett, and even Jeff H. has seen. None of the above know of any other of the type being found this far west either. It was found about 10 miles north of Sioux Falls S.D., about a mile from the sioux river, and I got to talk to the finder, his wife, and neighbor who had been drooling over it since it was found.

I wish I would have made it to c-ville this year, I wanted a few friends to see this, but my dad was in hospital, and I needed to be near.

Hamilton, isn't that where they have the geode days/fest? My wife has been wanting to check it out, is it worth it?

DSCN3555.webp
DSCN3771.webpDSCN3768.webp
 
Some real interesting notches on this one.. Imagine how hard that would be to do with antler.

Actually, not hard at all. It's called punch notching. Primarily used during a relatively short window of time in the Early Archaic. Calf Creek, Bell, Andice, Dovetail, Lost Lake, some Thebes and a few other related early archaic types have it.

Most modern knappers who accurately replicate the flake scar pattern in punch notching, do it with an indirect percussion set up. Since you put the piece of antler directly on the spot and then hit it with something, you usually hit very small platforms very accurately. (Picture shooting a gun with a scope, or from the hip.) Some of the same knappers can make really nice fluted points with the same basic set up, and a couple of archaeologists think that these specialized notches are a technological "great-grandchild" of fluting.
 
One of my favorite pieces from this forum. A beauty!

You have some very nice pieces there sir.

This is my Dove collection. It is the only authentic dove made of KRF that Stermer, Bennett, and even Jeff H. has seen. None of the above know of any other of the type being found this far west either. It was found about 10 miles north of Sioux Falls S.D., about a mile from the sioux river, and I got to talk to the finder, his wife, and neighbor who had been drooling over it since it was found.

I wish I would have made it to c-ville this year, I wanted a few friends to see this, but my dad was in hospital, and I needed to be near.

Hamilton, isn't that where they have the geode days/fest? My wife has been wanting to check it out, is it worth it?

View attachment 1136991
View attachment 1136992View attachment 1136993
 
rare dove Quito...not many KRF doves out there!!! VERY NICE SIR!!!
Hey If you do the facebook artifact groups I'm Admin. at one named G-7 or higher collectors grade artifact. you would be welcome to come look around if you like... awesome bunch of old time collectors.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom