KF5
Greenie
- Joined
- Feb 8, 2016
- Messages
- 19
- Reaction score
- 32
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Primary Interest:
- All Treasure Hunting
My Grandfather's collection
I've only recently became interested in hunting for artifacts on our family farm & learning about the things we find. My grandparents have been farming the same 120 acres of land in KY for 75
years. Over the years, they've saved some of the items they've came across. Many are broken from being struck by a hoe or ran over by a tobacco setter, but several seem to be complete. My Pappaw (93 years old, whose grandfather was full blooded Cherokee) doesn't know too much about the history of the pieces he's found but is interested in knowing anything I could learn about them. So, are there any pieces that stand out as particularly interesting? Or any that you could give me names of etc so I could do some researching on them? Thanks for any information you are able to provide!!





I've only recently became interested in hunting for artifacts on our family farm & learning about the things we find. My grandparents have been farming the same 120 acres of land in KY for 75
years. Over the years, they've saved some of the items they've came across. Many are broken from being struck by a hoe or ran over by a tobacco setter, but several seem to be complete. My Pappaw (93 years old, whose grandfather was full blooded Cherokee) doesn't know too much about the history of the pieces he's found but is interested in knowing anything I could learn about them. So, are there any pieces that stand out as particularly interesting? Or any that you could give me names of etc so I could do some researching on them? Thanks for any information you are able to provide!!





Upvote
0




Seriously though, you have some great artifacts already, looks like some scrapers/tools, and broken projectile points that you might find the other pieces of and the big one is probably a grooved axe but others might have a different term for it, I would love to find one of those myself but haven't yet. Not sure how much archaeology type research is going on in your area but we have one day a year to ask questions of our archaeologists and that's how I find out about my stuff on the local level, on here is a good place too so be sure and post new finds on here to ask about. Thanks for sharing your Grandfather's collection and Cherokee lineage, it's all fascinating to me!







