What's new

My most meaningful return yet

time4me

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2005
Messages
1,296
Reaction score
44
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
7a86dd29.jpg


Two evenings ago I hit a beautiful and very popular beach to detect with my hunting partner. The weather was perfect, the water calm, and the sun dropping in the sky through a few clouds made for a spectacular visual treat.

Targets were few. In the 2.5 hours we hunted, I found only a few coins, a bellybutton jewel thingy, and the dog tag pictured above. The dog tag has a soldier's name, his birth date "1988-07-05", "19D CAV. SCOUT", and the date he was killed "2011-06-26". It is a memorial dog tag, for a young man who gave his life serving his country, who died 9 days before his 23rd birthday.

I googled the soldier's name, and in reading through the many articles about his death, I came across a photo of his mother and his wife standing at the funeral service. Around his wife's neck is what looks to be this very same dog tag. A little more research and I had a phone number for his mother so I called. His mother informed me that her daughter-in-law had been to this beach two days prior to my finding the dog tag, and must have lost it while swimming.

I will be mailing the dog tag to the mother today.

What a sobering reminder of the horrors of war. My 10 year old son has never known a time when the United States was not in two or three wars. I don't have any solutions to offer, but this has got to end. We need to bring our troops back home before any more leave their families and loved ones grieving.

Jim
 
Upvote 0
What a touching story and thank you for sharing . :icon_silent:
 
Great Return, Jim!

Sometimes people ask me why I detect....you've got the answer there in your post.

FINDING something significant ... RESEARCHING the find ... RETURNING the find (yeah, sometimes KEEPING it too)j.

It doesn't get any better than that. Gotta LOVE this hobby!

HH Joe
 
As the Father of a soldier who has done 3 combat tours, I can tell you your kindness will never be forgotten.
 
Beautiful story, T4M....and how wonderful that you were able to track down the wife of this soldier who gave his life for our freedom!

Congratulations to you on a fine job!

Lorraine
 
Thats what is all about...may not be gold but a very golden thing to do, I too found a WWII vet dog tag that I am researching, hope to get back to the family soon!! Thanks to our soldiers and to you!!!
 

Attachments

  • 008.webp
    008.webp
    66 KB · Views: 302
  • 008.webp
    008.webp
    66 KB · Views: 293
Returns like these are what it is all about. That family will never forget your kindness. :thumbsup:
 
Great story nice read. Congrats!
 
awesome job congrats
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom