xmas 033 (Small).jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 435
  • xmas 034 (Small).jpg
    xmas 034 (Small).jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 439
T

trish76642

txkickergirl said:
dang Trish, for 10K, I think he would become my very very very best friend then I wouldn't need to buy one. Surley they come cheaper..a lot hopefully. Doesn't Harbor Freight sell something for us beginners.

I know it! The best thing about is, he has every machine you can think of when it comes to rocks and i can go over there anytime i want too and use em :thumbsup:
Didnt think about Harbor Freight..i love that place!

Calworks said:
Nice makings there Tx.
I used to do so much rock related stuff i ran out of space in my house. I made jewlery, desk pen sets, plaques, lamps. Speaking of lamps if you ever get ahold of some very nice quality stones with superb color, have it sliced thin (1/8 - 1/4 inch) and bulid yourself a one of a kind lamp. I've even made stained glass using different rocks/gems/etc. If you cut the rocks the same thickness of regular stained glass it works just as well and can give you colors you can't copy.

I Still occassionaly look for unique stones when walking the beaches or lakes.
Lapidary equipment you can get pretty reasonably from e-bay, or just google used lapidary equipment, it brings up loads of pages to look at.

wish I had my cousins equipment he sold not too long ago, finaces just didn't mesh at the time. and so it goes.

Good luck
Sure wished you cold post some pictures of the prettys you've made Calworks..the stained glass effect sounds awesome! My geologist friend who has all the rock cutting equipment, cut some of his pieces so thin you could see right through em, absolutely georgous!

Upvote 0

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
tx, Search "Lortone". They have a selection of lapidary equipment to choose from. They are higher priced than others, but it will give you a place to start. The used equipment can save you lots of coin, but you have to know what you are looking at/for.

The first machine I got was the Lortone LU6X. It is a complete unit. It has a 6 inch diamond saw on one end, with an assortment of grinding, sanding, and polishing wheels on the other end. A 6 inch saw is mainly for trimming slabs or you can slice material that is a little less than 2 3/4" thick. If you need to cut bigger stuff, the price goes through the roof.

Good luck!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
txkickergirl

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will look at lortone I like the all in one idea.

Calworks Trish is right we would love to see some of your work, I would also like to see pics of any stuff you guys have created I find it so interesting. Jewelry was the obvious, but I never thought of things like lamps, tables, or anything else made out of rocks. My narrow mind is beginning to expand.

Upvote 0

Calworks

Nov 7, 2006
Tx, Trish

I wish I could, but alas all are either given away to relatives, friends or just lost in the many moves over the years.esk sets went missing i my last houshold shipment. But as your friend did they were slliced thin enough to see thru, agate is positively beautiful when sliced thin. I'll search around for some old phots of the stuff

Upvote 0

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
Found a pretty surprise in my mailbox today :)
Thank you, Dawn!
My 2 daughter's have both tried to claim the jewelry you made me, but I beat them off with a club :) :) :)
When I get my camera back from my son, I'll take pics and post here.
If you decide you want t o try the wire wrapping, let me know. I have several of the cd's.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread