MY SECOND POST IS ABOUT MY RING TECHNIQE

DFX-SCOTT

Mar 18, 2008
Detector(s) used
WHITES DFX
HELLO I TRYED ANOTHER METHOD 2 DAYS AGO.
MY DFX READS A +44 RING PULL TAB WHEN I SWEEP MY 14K WEDDING RING,
SAME THING WHEN I SWEEP A PULL TAB
SO I DUG EVERY + 25 THROUGH 44 HOPING TO PLAY THE ODDS!
I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN TOLD YOU HAVE TO DIG THE JUNK TO GET THE GOLD!
GUESS WHAT!

I AM 14 PULL TABS RICHER ( SOME ARE EVEN ANTIQUES)
I NAMED THAT PARK ( PULL TAB PARK )
ANY TIPS,
I KNOW I HAVE TO KEEP DIGGING THOSES BUT YOU WOULD THINK THE DFX WOULD BE ABLE TO
SEPARATE THE TWO SOME HOW.
SCOTT

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Gee, only 14 pulltabs richers? I know parks where you'd go 100+ before getting a nickel or gold item. Head to any inner-city urban blighted park, esp. where lawn-mowers have tangled with aluminum cans, and I can show you hundreds of "gold ring signals". ::)

Sometimes the best way to increase gold ring odds, is to hunt places that simply have a better ratio, to begin with. Swimming beaches (lakes or oceans) are easier to dig on, and swimming (slippery suntan lotion, cool water, frolicking around, etc...) are much more condusive for gold jewelry losses than turf, to begin with.

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lawn mower shredded aluminum cans >:( wish I had a nickel for all them tiny pieces of aluminum I've found in parks. :D

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
For some reason, I don't know why, I get more frustrated when I dig can slaw than I do pull tabs. Because most times, I can tell a pull tab, but when I get that... "Oh, this is something good... "... I dig up a very pristine piece of perfectly cut, diamond ring can slaw.

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
DFX-SCOTT said:
HELLO I TRYED ANOTHER METHOD 2 DAYS AGO.
MY DFX READS A +44 RING PULL TAB WHEN I SWEEP MY 14K WEDDING RING,
SAME THING WHEN I SWEEP A PULL TAB
SO I DUG EVERY + 25 THROUGH 44 HOPING TO PLAY THE ODDS!
I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN TOLD YOU HAVE TO DIG THE JUNK TO GET THE GOLD!
GUESS WHAT!

I AM 14 PULL TABS RICHER ( SOME ARE EVEN ANTIQUES)
I NAMED THAT PARK ( PULL TAB PARK )
ANY TIPS,
I KNOW I HAVE TO KEEP DIGGING THOSES BUT YOU WOULD THINK THE DFX WOULD BE ABLE TO
SEPARATE THE TWO SOME HOW.
SCOTT
There really is no problem with what you are doing. The problem exists only in the head. Every time I read a post where the poster complains that they are finding pulltabs, screwcaps, etc., but never any gold it makes me wonder what makes the complainers think that the ground is littered with gold items but it's the opposite and every gold find is a "miracle." I'm not singling you out, Scott, so please don't take it personal.

Even at the beach where it would be more common to find lost jewelry it just doesn't happen just because you're scanning the ground. A lot of factors have to come together for that gold item to be detected. Of course it starts with people losing their rings, bracelets, earrings, watches, etc.

Bathers at the beach may lose items when they come of the water and imitate a wet dog by shaking their arms free of water and there goes a ring, or a bracelet, or a watch. But at the parks losing anything except coins is a rare occurrence. At the beaches and at the parks what you'll find the most are the pulltabs, screwcaps, etc., because they're brough it by the thousands. And, let's face it, a lot of detectorists get fed up with the thousands of pulltabs, etc., that are in the ground which their coils find that eventually they start to discriminate these items and there goes any small gold item that's in the same location.

Metal detectors should have never had a discriminate function incorporated into the circuity. They should have been left as ALL METALS forcing the digging of every signal. This would eventually clean up all sites resulting in finding more or all gold items. Where discrimination is used less or none at all is at the beach 'cause you don't have to dig, you just scoop. If we could also scoop at the park, we'd be finding all of those gold items also.

So, knowing you can't have it both ways, you gotta make up your mind to dig every signal because eventually what you may think is your millionth pulltab will be a beautiful gold item and when you reveal the color of gold you'll (temporarily) forget all of that bending and digging to wind up with someone's carelessness in removing the pulltab in the first place.

Some creative people turn pulltabs into jewelry!

Silver Fox

BTW, no offense meant but typing all caps is considered a form of yelling. Perhaps that was your intent!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One other thing--and someone will probably correct me if I'm wrong...

Some bigger gold rings--especially big honking mens' class rings--will read higher than your wedding band on your detector. So you might want to consider digging Any mid-range signal in order to get the rings--not just 44 and lower.

Regards,

Buckleboy

OP
OP
DFX-SCOTT

DFX-SCOTT

Mar 18, 2008
Detector(s) used
WHITES DFX
IT WOULD TAKE ALOT MORE TO GET ME UPSET SILVER FOX ! NO OFFENSE TAKEN
ACTUALLY I APPRECIATE YOUR INFORMATION ON THIS TOPIC.
I AM 31 YEARS OLD AND HAVE BEEN HUNTING FOR 8 YEARS
I HAVE ME 3 GENLTLEMAN CLOSE TO 60 YEARS OLD WHO HAVE TOLD ME THAT THEY HAVE BEEN HUNTING
FOR 30 YEARS , 1 GUY SAID HE HAS HIT EVERY OLD SCHOOL, CHURCH, AND PARK WITHIN 50 MILES
I LOVE METAL DETECTING SO MUCH AND SOME TIMES I TRY TO THINK, OK WHAT CAN I DO THAT THESE GUYS
DIDNT!
ONE IDEA WAS TO JUST DIG EVERY PULL TAB READING, BUT AFTER 14 I QUICKLY CHANGED TACTICS FOR THE DAY.
4 HOURS AND ONLY FOUND 15 CLAD AND BULLET SHELL CASING , AND PULL TABS, ( 4 TYPES ACTUALY)
BUT ANYWAY,
PS. IT IS CURRENTLY 26 DEGREES AND BLOWING SNOW HERE IN NORTHWEST OHIO!

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
DFX-SCOTT said: "PS. IT IS CURRENTLY 26 DEGREES AND BLOWING SNOW HERE IN NORTHWEST OHIO!" And I say, "Geezus, some people are out of their cotton-picking minds to go metal detecting in such weather!" Actually, you have some very good company as there are a lot of beepers out there finding stuff in the snow. Me? It's been in the 40s and 50s here in New York City and going to a nearby park is the farthest thing in my mind. Too used to warmer weather. Maybe next month I'll venture out. Maybe next week when it's supposed to reach 54.

You are one hardy person! Admirable.

radarwill

Feb 8, 2008
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
The old pull tab vs gold thing. I think people just assume that there are many rings out there since people like CRACKBADGER find many. He is up to somewhere around 45 for 2008! I think if I hunted full time I'd probally find more gold. Thats never going to happen.
I try to channel my efforts into spending a little time on each pull tab in a mode such as all metal. You will develop a feel for the shape of the target and eventually feel more confident walking away from a target.
This illustrates another reason I like my Sov so much. Not only does it have a great AM, but in DISC it is very accurate with it's sounds in differentiating aluminum from Gold. I won't even get into it's meter. :wink:

Have faith and remember; the master of AM is the master of all!

OP
OP
DFX-SCOTT

DFX-SCOTT

Mar 18, 2008
Detector(s) used
WHITES DFX
WE SHOULD START A PULL TAB CONTEST, IF THERE ISNT ONE ALREADY.
I BET SOME ONE DECIDED TO PUT EVERY PULL TAB ON A STRING AND HAS A PULL TAB ROPE THE SIZE
OF A A WELL SOME THING REALLY LONG.

IN PLAY GROUNDS I WILL CONTINUE TO DIG PULL TAB READINGS BUT IN GRASSY AREAS I DONT LIKE
TO DIG UNNECESARY HOLES.

SCOTT

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
radarwill said:
The old pull tab vs gold thing. I think people just assume that there are many rings out there since people like CRACKBADGER find many. He is up to somewhere around 45 for 2008! I think if I hunted full time I'd probally find more gold. Thats never going to happen.
I try to channel my efforts into spending a little time on each pull tab in a mode such as all metal. You will develop a feel for the shape of the target and eventually feel more confident walking away from a target.
This illustrates another reason I like my Sov so much. Not only does it have a great AM, but in DISC it is very accurate with it's sounds in differentiating aluminum from Gold. I won't even get into it's meter. :wink:

Have faith and remember; the master of AM is the master of all!
You illustrate my point about the importance of AM if one wants to find gold items. I had a "cut me down to size" encounter one day while I was detecting in a local park. I took a tube steak lunch break and sat down to enjoy my welcome meal. A man carrying something in a sack on his back approached me because he had noticed my detector/rod. We carried on a friendly conversation and I had already made out what was sticking from his sack, it was a Radio Shack Micontra-type detector coil. Here he was with a cheap "toy" and here I was with a computer-controlled sophisticated $600+ detector. Had I ever found a gold coin, he asked and I replied no. That's because I used discrimination that eliminates items and notch a nickel so, yes, that notch allowed me to find gold rings but limited ones in thickness or karat. The park I was at accommodates millions of visitors/residents it seems daily! And a lot of pulltabs, screwcaps, etc., litter the landscape and I had found enough of these plus others for everybody on this forum. So, I HAD to use some discrimination.

His detector did not have discrimination so he had, by necessity, to dig EVERY signal. By now it didn't matter if the next signal was junk he was accustomed to it and just dug.

Bottom line: he found a $20 gold coin and he showed it to me as he carried it for good luck. I told him that he could sell it and buy a detector like mine but he came back with "Yeah, great detector but you haven't found a gold coin or as many gold items as I have." Or something to that effect. I felt humbled and backed off on my disc. but I stil haven't found that elusive gold coin. Notice I don't call myself Gold Fox!

Silver Fox

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
There has been some pretty extensive tesing in this area Scott.... most smaller gold rings start out around 8 for the vdi... the majority of your gold rings will fall between 8-28...up to 46 vdi wise..are there exceptions of course which go even higher! Alot can depend on if you are using one freq, two freq best data. sure gold rings can even go higher especially if silver gold combo......but the majority will fall from 8 to 28... My silver rings have been falling from 78 to 83.... but seem to like 79-81 area.... I had a Jesus silver ring chopped by a lawn mower last year came up like a zinc cent at 72....so you never know. Also remember there are copper rings that will fall just like a zincer...Gregg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread