my sons stamp collection

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well.....
If it were me that got a bunch of stamps, I'd first go to the library and get the "Scott's" Catalogues and then go home and sort the stamps by US or foreign.
Then I'd look up the older looking ones first, especially the higher denomination ones.
You will need to understand perforations, watermarks and other variations in similar looking stamps.
This is all very time consuming and sometimes tedious and confusing but you will definitely learn about history as many stamps are issued for commemorative reasons.
I would say that the odds of having that $1,000,000 stamp waiting to be identified are slim at best, but you never know...

Best Wishes,
Scott

PS. You also should know about PNC's, Perfins, Precancels and CTO's. I'm sure that you can "Google" these terms to get a grasp on what else to look for. Best of Luck!

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mackaydon said:
If you live in an area that has a local stamp club, attend one of their meetings with your stamps and ask for assistance.
Don...

EXCELLENT advice! :thumbsup:
(wish I'd a thunk of it! :icon_scratch:)

Best,
Scott

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Another thought:
Contact your local Boy Scouts troop. Find out who is the counselor for the Stamp Collecting merit badge. Meet that person, ask for his/her advise (to answer your Qs) and offer to the counselor your duplicates or worthless stamps so that he/she might pass them on to others who are working on that merit badge.
Don.......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread