What's new

Mystery brass round object form mid-late 18th century homestead

Don in SJ

Silver Member
Joined
May 20, 2005
Messages
4,938
Reaction score
859
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Long before I was a TNet member we posted this item elsewhere on What is it and never got an answer. Perhaps now with the great people here someone will come through with an ID on this unknown that my son found back in 2002. I apologize for the photo quality, but I took photos pictures I had in my scrap book of finds.

Here are the details my son originally posted. Found this odd little brass object at a mid eighteenth century homestead. This site produced a number of coins dated 1700-1754, a few buttons, a broken shoe buckle, iron fragments and this thing. There is modern trash nearby, but am sure it wasn't from that (it was 6 inches down in heavy brush)

The circle portion is about1 1/4" in diameter, but varies as the object is not perfectly round. If you look closely on the backside photo there appears to be some sort of cloth or burlap attached to it.

Don
 

Attachments

  • unknownwafflething.webp
    unknownwafflething.webp
    69.6 KB · Views: 303
i dont know but it is old. maybe 1800s. i hope you get the identifcation. great find don.

henry
 
Upvote 0
I hope you find out...I have the same thing...
 
Upvote 0
romeo-1 said:
I hope you find out...I have the same thing...
Cool could you post the pic? It may help us.
 
Upvote 0
romeo-1 said:
I hope you find out...I have the same thing...

If you still have it or if you remember, was there cloth/burlap evidence at all on the back side, that may be the biggest clue to solving the what is it......

Don
 
Upvote 0
Ask on USENET in rec.antiques and link to the photo. Lots of folks with lots of experience, and they love a puzzle.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom