Nail board tests of various detectors. Guess which one wins?

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
Last edited:

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Those "air" tests are next to worthless for comparing detectors.
Jim

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Lots of 2-filter machines can pass that test. But they won't be super deep-seeking, nor will they have full bells-&-whistles TID's. Or better yet: An early 1970s Compass 77b can have those nails right ON TOP of the coin, and discern the coin there (yet pass the nails if the nails were solo). But depth on the 77b was limited, and it had no other form of disc. Ie.: foil to silver dollar would all sound the same. And they were a bear to keep balanced, and wained in mineralized ground. Still though, killer to use in nail-riddled ground, to-this-day.

OP
OP
LuckyLarry

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
Jim, not according to George Payne, (and he is the grandfather of metal detector inventions and designs), THE GURU. Search for his notes online and you will discover why air tests are important, he explains it in his engineering notes.

Last edited:

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well if you dig a hole and you find all them in the same order your some one specail

Last edited:

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks Kempy
for the hint
I fixed it

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have yet to see any floating treasures in the air, I must be looking in the wrong air pockets....

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Dig-N-VA

Jan 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250/DD PROformance 8.5 x 11 coil

Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have yet to see any floating treasures in the air, I must be looking in the wrong air pockets....

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

When iwas beamed up by an Alien spacecraft, i seen alot of Floating Treasure :laughing7:

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Fact : true tests are done in the ground...
Fact : air tests are not completely meaningless
Fact : there are very few videos out there that compare metal detectors how they should be compared
Fact : even if people agree to disagree there is no perfect machine out there... They all have their defects one way or the other.
Fact : if you think that you hunted a place 100% and then buy I your new detector and say you have found the impossible coin that you went over and over and never heard, it is most likely that you just missed that spot.
I might be wrong but that is my opinion....

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll concede that air test do not translate to actual in ground results. However, I believe they are very useful to compare differences between coils, give a reference to check against when a detector seems to have lost performance and to compare results when settings are adjusted or to give an idea as to how comparable two different machines are with the same target at the same distance.
luvsdux

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions