Syverson

Jul 24, 2021
Blaine, MN
Detector(s) used
Garette AT Pro, Pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi there, I just acquired this axe head from one of my clients yesterday during a plumbing service call, she?s 70 y/o. She told me she owns land nearby pillager MN just north of Bemidji. She was walking through the wilderness looking for wild ferns to dig up and plant at her other home in the twin cities 30 years ago. Upon doing so she stated she found some wild ferns near rock lake and when she dug up the plant she must have had her spade shovel more than a foot below ground level when she hit this rock. She pulled it out of the ground and has been using it as a door stopper.. I was able to purchase it from her for 10$..

I?m wondering if there?s any Native American stone tool experts around that could tell me what kind of rock this is and if there?s any possible way of finding out when this axe was made, any additional information would be very helpful!! I would really like to get a guesstimation on how long ago this tool could?ve been made

Thank you!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 268
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 221
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 209
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 180
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 189
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 186
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 183
Upvote 0

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
...that is a really nice hard stone artifact. Your out of my area but that is an awesome ax.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Moved to indian artifact forum..

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
In North America, axes, celts, gouges, mauls, plummets, and bannerstones began to appear early in the Archaic period (10,000 years ago) and made from hard igneous or metamorphic rocks. Yours appears to be granite.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome and I will happily double the price & pay shipping! Seriously though you have a very nice example of a NA 3/4 grooved axe. It's in great shape too.

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
yes very nice axe

For $10? Wow. That is an amazing purchase. Congrats.

It looks like granite, and appears to have a channel along the top.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The material looks like diorite to me. Diorite was a very common axe material. Medium to fine grained and tough. Gary

dirstscratcher

Mar 8, 2019
N.C. Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Full groove axes are considered the oldest, then 3/4 groove next before ungrooved celts became common. I think they're considered mid to late archaic, so in the 3 to 6,000 year old range.

Missouri Breaks

Mar 21, 2021
CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That axe has the lines of a corvette. You don?t see that condition too often. I thought the material was good ol basalt but I get the diorite idea. Interesting to think about the tool(s) used to form that bad boy. What material they would?ve been etc. Well, you got yourself the door stop to end all door stops. Nah, great piece and back story.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread