Natural or Man Made?

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
A possible Google Earth search area based on comments made by EC. Mason.

attachment.php

Attachments

• E42B36C6-576F-4A98-B920-D10EFB654077.jpeg
    E42B36C6-576F-4A98-B920-D10EFB654077.jpeg
    86 KB · Views: 218

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Geocache box perhaps? I stumbled upon one once just metal detecting in the crotch of a tree.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A possible Google Earth search area based on comments made by EC. Mason.

attachment.php

I searched on google earth, didn't come up with anything. There appears to be a small body of water there too. Shouldn't be impossible to spot.

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
I am going to let my imagination go here.
I see a strongbox with its hasp (white arrow) and handle (red arrow).

A word of caution EC. Mason.
If that is something other than a wooden post, you had better know local law before disturbing it.

That doesn’t mean you can’t take pretty pictures.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 8B54EF46-0E12-4A79-AF23-B150A5CF2B1A.jpeg
    8B54EF46-0E12-4A79-AF23-B150A5CF2B1A.jpeg
    5.1 KB · Views: 318

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
I wonder if flood water is responsible for clearing this path and exposing whatever it is that we are looking at?
Powell County suffered historic levels last March.

EC. Mason - metadata is a tricky thing.

Cheers!

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Geocache box perhaps? I stumbled upon one once just metal detecting in the crotch of a tree.

Possible.

Funny, I’ve been in this same scenario once before.

I've been caching for years, although not too much lately. It looks like a typical ammo box geocache to me and if it is, it was placed to bring people to this spot. So, natural or otherwise, someone placed that cache to bring people there to see it.

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
I've been caching for years, although not too much lately. It looks like a typical ammo box geocache to me and if it is, it was placed to bring people to this spot. So, natural or otherwise, someone placed that cache to bring people there to see it.

In that same hole is a protruding stick that is similar in shape to quarter round, so perhaps.
Why wouldn’t the photographer take the box?

I have never geocached.

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In that same hole is a protruding stick that is similar in shape to quarter round, so perhaps.
Why wouldn’t the photographer take the box?

I have never geocached.

A couple of thoughts come to mind. It is possible the photographer didn't notice it although if it is a cache the last person who found it did a lousy job of (re)concealing it. It's also possible that the photographer was a cacher and visited the site while looking for/finding the cache but the OP said the photographer had previously owned the property so maybe not.

In addition, caches are typically marked as such with writing on the container or in the log book that is kept inside the cache. Most people who find caches accidentally usually just sign the log book and replace the cache.

EDIT: I don't know why, but I was having trouble accessing/enlarging the photos. Now that I have, I still think it's a geocache, but I'm not quite as sure as I was initially.

Last edited:

Tinhorn2

Jul 27, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought road but each rock is bigger than I thoufht, like 100 lb rocks

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
A couple of thoughts come to mind. It is possible the photographer didn't notice it although if it is a cache the last person who found it did a lousy job of (re)concealing it. It's also possible that the photographer was a cacher and visited the site while looking for/finding the cache but the OP said the photographer had previously owned the property so maybe not.

In addition, caches are typically marked as such with writing on the container or in the log book that is kept inside the cache. Most people who find caches accidentally usually just sign the log book and replace the cache.

EDIT: I don't know why, but I was having trouble accessing/enlarging the photos. Now that I have, I still think it's a geocache, but I'm not quite as sure as I was initially.

A self doubting doubter.

Ha!

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, so much interest in these pictures!
E.C. Mason is not the kind of person, as I know of him, to mislead intentionally...my betting money is on this being a creek bed or adjacent to a creek bed. This area and the Red River in general sees large scale flooding periodically, the scraps of lumber were probably deposited there by water...I wouldn't think someone would geocash on private property. Do to the attractions of the neighboring Red River Gorge and Natural Bridge State Park I fail to see why anyone would venture onto private land to place a cache? Maybe I just have a different mindset though? So many (literally hundreds) of natural arches to place caches at in that region...

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Wow, so much interest in these pictures!
E.C. Mason is not the kind of person, as I know of him, to mislead intentionally...my betting money is on this being a creek bed or adjacent to a creek bed. This area and the Red River in general sees large scale flooding periodically, the scraps of lumber were probably deposited there by water...I wouldn't think someone would geocash on private property. Do to the attractions of the neighboring Red River Gorge and Natural Bridge State Park I fail to see why anyone would venture onto private land to place a cache? Maybe I just have a different mindset though? So many (literally hundreds) of natural arches to place caches at in that region...

Certainly reassuring to read your thoughts about EC. Mason.
A person with the location could cause quite a circus down there.

Hopefully trespass isn’t typical of geocaching.

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Certainly reassuring to read your thoughts about EC. Mason.
A person with the location could cause quite a circus down there.

Hopefully trespass isn’t typical of geocaching.

I just dont know why you are sure it's a geocache.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'll be looking forever in Kentucky as it's in Europe ;-)

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
I just dont know why you are sure it's a geocache.

I never wrote that I was “sure” of anything, especially anything involving geocaching. I’ve never done it.

If it’s not a post, what I describe as a wooden box can be identified and dated. The hasp, if that’s what it is, looks more like the routed hand grips typically found on either side of a wooden box. Confusing because it looks like it has side handles, at least one, as well.

Last edited:

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never wrote that I was “sure” of anything, especially anything involving geocaching as I’ve never done it.

If it’s not a post, what I describe as a wooden box can be identified and dated. The hasp, if that’s what it is, looks more like the routed hand grips typically found on either side of a wooden box. Confusing because it looks like it has side handles, at least one, as well.

I think you are correct that there is something interesting under that tree. Looks like a box with handles to me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread