Kray, you are one of my favorite members here, but the southern boys fired on Ft Sumpter first, making them the aggressors. Jus' sayin'.
Thanks for the good words, Gunsil. I appreciate your posts. Being a transplant here, from the Northwest, I have made it a point to read up on our "Civil War." Not a life's study, just trying to understand. Since living here, '75-79, '82-83, 2004 to present, and marrying a local lady in '78, you wouldn't believe the grief I have received from Carolinians. Both for being a "Yankee," and for being a white man in a black state. I'm in the middle, despised by both. I am not being dramatic. It is true.
My conclusion is the awful conflict could have been avoided, had there been some give on either side. The actual war itself, was a War of Northern Aggression, and not being pro Confederacy, I still feel it's accurate, and preferable to the Civil War term. My town, Georgetown, spawned the most virulent secessionists. The rice farmers here were rolling in money, made on the backs of slaves. Some owned 800, 1000, 1200 slaves. An enormous investment that they were not about to give up. They bear a great deal responsibility, for their very vocal and monetary support of seceding from the Union. Lincoln was looking for a spark. Charleston provided.
Anyway, it was an awful thing. A number of causes for sure. I'm not a Southerner or a Yankee. I'm a Westerner. My Missouri clan fought on both sides. Not that it matters, I don't even have the mental energy to debate it.
Thanks for mentioning that, Gunsil. I still prefer the term.