What's new

Neck protection from the sun- what do you use?

Detectorinator

Full Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2010
Messages
100
Reaction score
130
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I often snorkel while detecting and the back of my neck is exposed to the sun for long periods of time. I know they have hats with the neck protection built in but I don't think that would stay on underwater. I'm curious what others who snorkel while detecting use to protect their neck/head from the sun. Thanks!
 
Upvote 0
Check out hoorag.com. I use 2 at a time. One for neck and one to pull up on your face. Don't know about underwater, though!
 
Check out hoorag.com. I use 2 at a time. One for neck and one to pull up on your face. Don't know about underwater, though!
Thanks! Do you think they are tight fitting enough to stay in one place while under water?
 
I just use sunscreen. Might just have to apply more often in the water...
 
Learned the hard way that wearing silver chains around your neck can cause blisters. Finally decided to start wearing a couple of silver chains I found....yep, they got so hot in the sun they actually burnt my neck. :laughing7: But I refuse to give up just yet.
 
I wear a cap and tuck in a large bandana under the back to protect my neck when detecting at the river. Obviously, this wouldn't work snorkeling. My problem is the sun reflecting off the water when in chest or neck deep water and burning my face. Mr. Garrett mentioned something in one of his books that covered the face and head. I think it was called a baraclava. Probably misspelled it, but would rather use this item than sunscreen.

The item is a balaclava and it's made in cloth or wool depending on whether it's hot or cold.
 
Last edited:
MD Solar Sciences SPF40 Mineral Lotion.
I get this stuff from my dermatologists, I paid $24 for a 2.82oz tube. I see Amazon has it cheaper.
It feels real nice, fragrance free, this stuff works, and you can not remove it without soap and water.
Perfect for a day or snorkeling/diving.

Amazon.com: MDSolarSciences -SPF 40 Mineral Screen Lotion - 2.82 oz: Beauty

I always use sunscreen but it wears off since I am often in the water for hours and my neck always gets burnt. I think one of the clothing accessories mentioned here might do the trick...I just need to figure out which one will stay in place under water.
 
I always use a t- shirt for sun protection.
try a hoodie. your dive mask will keep the hood snug and in place. i know a wetsuit is cumbersome and i don't care for them in tropical waters.
 
I often snorkel while detecting and the back of my neck is exposed to the sun for long periods of time. I know they have hats with the neck protection built in but I don't think that would stay on underwater. I'm curious what others who snorkel while detecting use to protect their neck/head from the sun. Thanks!

I wear a surfer shirt SPF 100 has high neck, wear the hat with the built in neck protection, it has a neck strap to keep hat on, also use sunscreen SPF 50....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
 
I've lived in Florida for 30+ years. I've used a lot of sunscreen! Plus I am very particular about what I slather on my skin.
Between chemicals, funky smells, greasy feel, getting it on the detector, and a lot of other factors, the above stuff I mentioned, is one of the best products I have ever found.
I used to use bullfrog SPF80 and 90 on the boat lobstering, and I burn every time. Where as, I can spend 6 or 7 hours at the beach detecting, using the md solar, the only place I burn, is where I missed spots.

If you are in Florida, stop by ANY dermatologists office, they have sample packets. They are usually more than happy to give you some free.
Trust me when I tell you, this stuff does NOT wear off, either. It really is that good.
 
I shave my head so I am as careful as I can be when snorkel detecting.... so what I got was some silicon swim caps that fit tightly and don't let the sun through. I will however purchase some MD Solar Sciences SPF40 Mineral Lotion for the back of my neck since the sunscreen I'm presently using does wear off after about 6 hours in the water. The silicon swim caps work great and trust me they stay on and don't interfere with the mask. Long sleeved or short sleeved SPF shirts, sunscreen and my swim cap and I'm good to go..

Cliff
 
Some dive hoods not only cover your head but also your entire neck.
 
Gators are also great in areas where the temps get very cold and high winds, they make fleece ones that will keep you nice and toasty, and with a boonie hat will keep all the sun off of you.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom