What's new

need help I.D.ing couple small points

DigIron2

Silver Member
Joined
Jan 22, 2014
Messages
4,042
Reaction score
2,968
Golden Thread
0
Location
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
010.webp003.webp006.webp008.webpI found these about a few months back at a place I refer to as quartz Hill,all the pieces I found there have been quarts.I have been researching but I just can't nail down the types of some.The bifurcated one, I have seen 'somewhat" similar examples, but not sure what to call it?The smaller rounded one,is it just a exhausted point?The closest I found to it is called a Thebes point?
 
Upvote 0
Don't think its a Thebes but hopefully Viking will chime in today and give his knowledge on your finds. 2 nice finds
 
I'm not sure what state you're in but let's say you're in South Carolina I would say the first one was a exhausted Big Sandy Contracting base and the second one and exhausted Pine tree.
Pine tree projectile points normally have serrated blade edges but it seems it would be really hard to tell on that piece
 
Last edited:
I think the bifurcated point would fall into the "St. Albans" type, some of them are taller and thinner than most bifurcates, and have less prominent shoulders, as yours appears to exhibit.
The other point is hard to tell, I have a couple similar and am not sure what to call them either? White quartz was often hard to knapp well, and thus many quartz points of certain types do not end up looking like classic examples of those types. I think yours is either a Kirk corner notched point that has been re-worked/re-sharpened, or more likely is a mid archaic unnamed type, that falls time wise between the Kirk and Brewerton corner notched varieties. JMO & HH.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom