What's new

Need help identifying points and material

wvuhunter

Tenderfoot
Joined
Dec 24, 2017
Messages
3
Reaction score
10
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently started collecting on private property in wv but I am still a novice on what’s these points are. Help please and thanks!! 9CDC1395-1906-4AB9-B1CC-402BBED0FA11.webpCD806FB8-04E5-4E02-8CE8-9B181C3B30D8.webp346ACA93-E9A7-4731-8810-ADF76CCEC737.webp7C8DEA7C-ED8A-4780-906E-D8870AFF5FE7.webp
 
Upvote 0
Nice looking artifacts!
HH
dts
 
Hi wvuhunter - although this guide is for New York, you may find some identifications here:

New York State Museum - Projectile Point Type Collection

One of the difficulties in projectile point identification is the names change by location. When I read posts from Texas, for example, the names are all new to me. But WV is close to NY, so use that guide: you'll have some fun. Also, broken points give me problems, like your pic 2: stem is broken off looks to me.

If these were found in New York, I would say your 1st pic looks like a Brewerton Corner Notched, 2nd pic too broken for me to form an opinion, 3rd pic very cool and I have no idea - look how deep those notches are!, 4th pic looks to be an 'Otter Creek'. Take a careful look at the online guide...and see what you think.
 
Hi wvuhunter - although this guide is for New York, you may find some identifications here:

New York State Museum - Projectile Point Type Collection

One of the difficulties in projectile point identification is the names change by location. When I read posts from Texas, for example, the names are all new to me. But WV is close to NY, so use that guide: you'll have some fun. Also, broken points give me problems, like your pic 2: stem is broken off looks to me.

If these were found in New York, I would say your 1st pic looks like a Brewerton Corner Notched, 2nd pic too broken for me to form an opinion, 3rd pic very cool and I have no idea - look how deep those notches are!, 4th pic looks to be an 'Otter Creek'. Take a careful look at the online guide...and see what you think.

:icon_thumleft: thank you my friend.
 
Just wait until I post what I think the types are, that's generally when everyone piles in and says no, it's x or x....lol
 
Thank you!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom