Has anybody ever found a union button that has been wrapped in material and tied off in the back? Found it at the third core camp in Fredericksburg Virginia as well as the small relic too. Thanks.
I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard Glennburn! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country). You might also consider adding your state (or country) to your displayed profile (SETTINGS -> EDIT PROFILE) so if you ask a question, etc. - people may have more success helping you (if necessary)...
Yeah I dug it 3 weeks ago at a winter camp in Fredricksburg. I'm trying to find out if anybody has found a union infantry button that is wrapped in fabric and tied off. Trying to find out if it's a new button that's not used.
Machines to make fabric covered buttons were available fairly early in the 19th C. Fabric covered buttons were popular in women's fashion by mid-19th C. I think that's what you've got.
If you look closely at the second pic, you can make out the outline of a General Service Eagle Button shield. Does the back look hand tied with thread or machine tied??