Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know much about buttons or English history but wasn't there a King George V ? Maybe military dress button???

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't know much about buttons or English history but wasn't there a King George V ? Maybe military dress button???
Thanks for your post Tony. :thumbsup:

King George V was King of the United Kingdom and the British Dominions (Canada), and Emperor of India, from 6 May 1910 until his death in 1936.
This 2-piece button likely dates from that time frame due to the 'loose' eye-loop on the back.
So it's possible this button may have something to do with KG V.

Thanks again,
Dave

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I did some research and found a chart showing the various cypher's used by the British Royals since Queen Victoria.
Unfortunately, the 'V' on this button doesn't appear on this chart. :icon_scratch:

Attachments

• Crowns Cyphers as used on badges buttons and medals.png
    Crowns Cyphers as used on badges buttons and medals.png
    146.5 KB · Views: 47
Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's Victorian, Dave.

Each monarch chooses (with advice) which crown they are going to use from the available selection in the royal regalia. From 1902-1952/3 (Edward VII-George VI), the choice for the royal cypher was the "Tudor" crown (as shown in the illustrations you found), which has a completely different shape.

Crowns.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's Victorian, Dave.

Each monarch chooses (with advice) which crown they are going to use from the available selection in the royal regalia. From 1902-1952/3 (Edward VII-George VI), the choice for the royal cypher was the "Tudor" crown (as shown in the illustrations you found), which has a completely different shape.

View attachment 1910855

Thanks very much for the information my friend, I appreciate you posting.
Dave

Upvote 0

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Two-piece button, likely mid-late 1800's.
British, I suppose....
See the ROSES, in that wreath...?
That should help date this puppy...!
Great Find...! :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Two-piece button, likely mid-late 1800's.
British, I suppose....
See the ROSES, in that wreath...?
That should help date this puppy...!
Great Find...! :icon_thumright:
Thanks for your post buddy, I never noticed the roses. :icon_scratch:
Dave

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Am I the only person who notices that a rose isn't the only "Flora" symbol in the wreath? At the top is the Thistle emblem of Scotland, the middle shows what seems to be a crude image of the (5-petals) Tudor Rose of England, and at the bottom are several Shamrocks of Ireland.
Tudor rose - Wikipedia

In my opinion, this 2-piece brass button's backmark saying "Extra Rich Orange" in serifed lettering dates it to the mid-1800s. The use of "orange" in a backmark fell out of favor after that time. Also, plain-block lettering replaced serifed lettering on nearly all backmarks in the very-late-1800s. In my opinion, this button is definitely pre-20th-Century, and most probably mid-1800s.

Attachments

• symbol_rose_Tudor-rose.png
    symbol_rose_Tudor-rose.png
    50.7 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Am I the only person who notices that a rose isn't the only "Flora" symbol in the wreath? At the top is the Thistle emblem of Scotland, the middle shows what seems to be a crude image of the (5-petals) Tudor Rose of England, and at the bottom are several Shamrocks of Ireland.
Tudor rose - Wikipedia

In my opinion, this 2-piece brass button's backmark saying "Extra Rich Orange" in serifed lettering dates it to the mid-1800s. The use of "orange" in a backmark fell out of favor after that time. Also, plain-block lettering replaced serifed lettering on nearly all backmarks in the very-late-1800s. In my opinion, this button is definitely pre-20th-Century, and most probably mid-1800s.

Thank you so much for your post and the amount of information you you've provided me with TheCannonballGuy, I sincerely appreciate it. :thumbsup:
Best of luck to you,
Dave

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The garland around the cypher does indeed have the rose of England, the thistle of Scotland, and the shamrock of Ireland but this doesn’t help in dating, except to say it’s post-1800. The shamrock was added to the United Kingdom Royal Arms at the time of the 1800 Acts of Union between Britain and Ireland. The shamrock continued to be used by the UK after the partition of Ireland into North/South in 1921 when Southern Ireland became an independent country (now preferring to be called just “Ireland” or "The Republic of Ireland"). Although the garland itself is not always used as part of the Royal cypher, when it is, the shamrock is still part of that garland - even today - but as an icon for Northern Ireland.

Supported by the manufacturing style of the button itself, the definitive part of the cypher that determines it as Victorian is - as I showed above - the style of the crown. The cypher on this button has a crown style which was not used after 1901. The stylised script ‘V’ is undoubtedly for Victoria.

Upvote 0

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "Extra Rich Orange" refers to the color of the button. They used words like Orange, rich orange, and extra rich orange to describe the color. Probably so it was not mistaken as gold...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The garland around the cypher does indeed have the rose of England, the thistle of Scotland, and the shamrock of Ireland but this doesn’t help in dating, except to say it’s post-1800. The shamrock was added to the United Kingdom Royal Arms at the time of the 1800 Acts of Union between Britain and Ireland. The shamrock continued to be used by the UK after the partition of Ireland into North/South in 1921 when Southern Ireland became an independent country (now preferring to be called just “Ireland” or "The Republic of Ireland"). Although the garland itself is not always used as part of the Royal cypher, when it is, the shamrock is still part of that garland - even today - but as an icon for Northern Ireland.

Supported by the manufacturing style of the button itself, the definitive part of the cypher that determines it as Victorian is - as I showed above - the style of the crown. The cypher on this button has a crown style which was not used after 1901. The stylised script ‘V’ is undoubtedly for Victoria.
Thank you once again for this information Red-Coat, I truly appreciate your taking the time to post this for me.
Dave

The "Extra Rich Orange" refers to the color of the button. They used words like Orange, rich orange, and extra rich orange to describe the color. Probably so it was not mistaken as gold...
Thanks for the info Xaos, this is something I've always wondered about. :thumbsup:
Dave

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions