What's new

Need help on I.D of cut spanish? silver

carpetbagger

Full Member
Joined
Sep 4, 2006
Messages
238
Reaction score
12
Golden Thread
0
Location
Rock Hill S.C
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro / Whites XLT / Garrett Ace 250
I have seen some amazing things Identified on this forum and I hope someone can help me. I am trying to find what type of coin this cut silver came from. Please help!!!!
Jeff K

ry%3D400


ry%3D400


ry%3D400
 
I'm rubbish at these, but I like guessing so 'piece of 8' :-\

PS, I'll tag along & learn as well :D
 
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
I'm rubbish at these, but I like guessing so 'piece of 8' :-\

PS, I'll tag along & learn as well :D
Of course its a piece of eight and Cru knows it lol. Nice find. Carolus III?
 
Upvote 0
It looks like a cut piece from a mid. 18th century reale. What is the measurement in mm? It does look quite thick so likely from an 8. See if you think the spacing on the "U" and "M" seems correct.
 

Attachments

  • 300px-Mexico_1760_8_reales_obv_600.webp
    300px-Mexico_1760_8_reales_obv_600.webp
    22.3 KB · Views: 262
Upvote 0
Its probably a piece of an 8 reale, but I guess it could be a 4 reale or 2 reale, depending upon size like said.
But they are all commonly called a piece of 8.
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
Actually it could be a piece of an 8 reale, 4 reale or 2 reale.
But they are all commonly called a piece of 8.


4 reales are much less common, and his piece looks too thick for a 2 reale.
 
Upvote 0
homefires said:
Wouldn't going be Weight give you a better Idea?

Yep if you know the % of the coin to divide into the weight of a complete one. I think I got that right.... but too tired to think. It's a good dig whatever it is.
 
Upvote 0
homefires said:
Wouldn't going be Weight give you a better Idea?
Take another pic next to a quarter.

Heres another piece found by a TN member that I cut out of the original. If I get a chance I can photoshop yours.
 

Attachments

  • Spanish Carolus III piece.webp
    Spanish Carolus III piece.webp
    11.6 KB · Views: 242
  • Spanish Carolus III piece.webp
    Spanish Carolus III piece.webp
    11.6 KB · Views: 248
Upvote 0
If it is as thick as a quarter or a bit thicker, then it is from an 8 Reale. The ruler is Carolus III, and his reign was 1759-1788.

If it is thinner than a quarter, it is likely a cut 2 Reale.
 
Upvote 0
1/8th of an 8R coin from the reign of Carlos III 1759-1788.
Complete obverse legend would read:
CAROLVS III D.G.HISPAN ET IND REX
The reverse would read:
VTRAQUE VNUM then probably an "M" for Mexico followed by the date.
Your coin shows the "III D" of the obverse and the "UM" of the reverse.
Great find!
Don........
PS: If you orient the "UM" to the 3 o'clock position, the verticle image is a column topped by a crown.
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom