Need help with a bullet I found.

DIRTSWEEPER

Feb 26, 2007
UPSTATE NY, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, 5" excel, detectorpro phones
Hey hey fellow treasure hunters, I found this bullet tonight and was wondering if any of you smart people out there can tell me what it is, how old it is, and for what kinda gun ??? All I can tell you is that its got S.F.M, or S.P.M on the bottom, with a star on either side of that. I cant make out the only other mark. Im gonna be digging one of these things one day and get my head blown clean off LOL. Thanks for looking, L8R
HOWLOW

Attachments

• bullet2.JPG
    bullet2.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 341

mhess22

Apr 24, 2007
Upstate New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
White's Spectra V3i
White's Bullseye TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SFM (Société Française de Munitions) is the brand of ammo. The round itself looks like maybe, .25 cal.. Cool find.

Upvote 0

hasbeen

Jan 4, 2006
The cartridge scales to be either a .32 auto or a 7.65 MAS(French pistol and submachine gun round).

Stand the cartridge on it's base,stand the penny on edge against it,if the brass case is taller than the penny it is a 7.65 MAS,if not it is a .32 auto.The .35 S&W auto is very similar but is so rare it could be discounted.

hasbeen

Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whatever it is it appears to be made to be shot in a wheel gun rather than an automatic. Notice the case is crimped against the bullet. Auto loading pistols have straight cases because the case headspaces on the case rather than the rim with few exceptions. (.38 S&W and older .38 Super).The crimp is what is throwing me. I'm not familiar with the 7.65 MAS, so that might be it? Monty

Well, now I've looked up the .25 ACP and it seems to have a slight bit of crimp, so ? Monty again

Upvote 0

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
During the second world war, the French made an auto pistol in a 7.63mm auto long and short. I think this is one of the "Shorts." It was a French made pistol that was painted black and not blued. It was in regular use by the German army. I have the pistol that shoots the 7.63mm long and the bullet is very similar just longer.

Daryl

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DIRTSWEEPER

DIRTSWEEPER

Feb 26, 2007
UPSTATE NY, USA
Detector(s) used
Well thank you once again for all the help. May sound like a silly question to some people, but can one of these bullets go off while I am digging it from the ground ? How hard is hard when speaking about setting off the primer ? Have not really spent much time around guns, so no clue. Thanks again, L8R
HOWLOW

Upvote 0

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
With old ammunition, you still have to be careful. Unless it was poorly manufactured, the seal between the bullet and the casing should still be intact which means the powder is still dry and capable of exploding. The primers used were typically mercury fulmanate and while they will deteriorate over time, they should all be considered as live and capable of igniting the powder if struck hard enough and in the right place. The nature of the primer and the positioning of it make it difficult for it to be struck in such a manner as to fire and set off the powder but it can happen. You could have two rounds together and the nose of one bullet gets driven into the primer of the other. Certain shells had a very pointed nose and would certainly be capable of imitating a firing pin. There could be a rock, nail, or other sharp object that could do the same. Is it likely to be arranged that way? No. Could they be? Yes. While it takes a pretty powerful blow, it can happen. So, IMHO, it boils down to reward versus risk. If you like to dig in those areas that still contain live ammunition and are willing to suffer the consequences if the unlikely happens, then you may possibly suffer some damage or someone in your party may be an innocent bystander as you dig them out. If, on the other hand, you can find other places to hunt that are not contaminated with live rounds, you can avoid most of the danger. Just remember that no battlefield is safe. There are other things that might be there that are much more dangerous and much more destructive than old bullets. Just because there are no bullets, that doesn't mean there isn't a mortar shell or a land mine. Still active after all these years.

For me, I'd rather dig somewhere else completely and buy any artifacts I just had to have.

Daryl

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
howlow666 said:
Well thank you once again for all the help. May sound like a silly question to some people, but can one of these bullets go off while I am digging it from the ground ? How hard is hard when speaking about setting off the primer ? Have not really spent much time around guns, so no clue. Thanks again, L8R
HOWLOW

Doubt it. Chances are the primer is ruined from being buried. Modern cartridges use non-explosive powder. Even if it did go off the case will rupture (without the heavy firearm to focus the debtonation) and the bullet won't travel as far or fast as the case will. You'd be in danger of eye injury, but it probably wouldn't penetrate clothing.

The old explosive artillery shells and such are different. They have explosive powder or compositions, some of which were hairy when fresh and get less stable with age and decomposition. 99.99% of them just leach out or decompose to goo. The 0.01% that may go off would ruin your whole day. WWI still claims the occasional European farmer who strikes an old shell. The Civil War may be atretching it.

Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree in theory with both of you guys. A single bullet is not very dangerous unless you pound it with a hammer or somehow ignite the primer. I read of a guy who set off a .22 shell with a 9volt battery in this pocket. But it was not old ammo and it only caused a very minor burn.....and a big surprise I imagine! Old cannon fodder is another story. Blackpowder can be alive after years of being exposed to moisture and then dried out. Just last summer a fellow was trying to difuse a Civil War cannon ball in his den when it exploded causing him very serious injury and also injuring his grandson who was in the room. It also destroyed the room and blew a big hole in the roof. Last I heard the poor guy was suffering from brain damage and probably would never be the same again. He was considered to be very knowledgible about such things too. This story was on nearly all the MDing forums. Rule of thumb, loose cartridges fairly safe, old unexploded or unknown if unexploded heavy ordinance, very dangerous! Monty

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DIRTSWEEPER

DIRTSWEEPER

Feb 26, 2007
UPSTATE NY, USA
Detector(s) used
Wow thanks so much for all the great information. I really have no idea what I could find in that area, and figure new hunting grounds await. Must say there are some great people on this forum, that give wonderful info and advise. Thanks again and happy hunting !!! L8R

HOWLOW

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread