What's new

Need help with an ID. (Added More pictures)

Old River

Silver Member
Joined
Dec 15, 2007
Messages
2,560
Reaction score
135
Golden Thread
0
Location
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found this piece in the woods where an old home site is. It doesn't look like a hinge off something. I thought maybe it's a piece of a gun. What do you think.
Added a few more pictures.
 

Attachments

  • Decorated piece.webp
    Decorated piece.webp
    44.5 KB · Views: 419
  • View 2 of dec. piece.webp
    View 2 of dec. piece.webp
    35.2 KB · Views: 413
  • Decorated piece.webp
    Decorated piece.webp
    44.5 KB · Views: 402
  • View 2 of dec. piece.webp
    View 2 of dec. piece.webp
    35.2 KB · Views: 411
  • What it 2.webp
    What it 2.webp
    77.1 KB · Views: 388
  • whats it 3.webp
    whats it 3.webp
    70.6 KB · Views: 386
  • whats it 4.webp
    whats it 4.webp
    76.3 KB · Views: 384
  • whats it 5.webp
    whats it 5.webp
    74.5 KB · Views: 393
Re: Need help with an ID.

It must be off an Irish gun then, with the shamrock on it ;D
- otherwise I don't know.
More pics from different angles and an idea of size will help :wink:
Mike
 
Upvote 0
Some of the folks that lived in this area were Irish.
 
Upvote 0
Great pics , Thanks :thumbsup: and at least a glimpse of a thumb to give some scale ;D
It's certainly interesting, but I still have no idea.
Mike
 
Upvote 0
Thanks Mike. I forgot the scale. Proud the thumb was in it. It's about the length of the thumb, and same size.
 
Upvote 0
Now i can see it. I think it could be part of a bolt action rifle. It looks similar to a part off anold left handed bolt action shotgun I once owned. But Im just guessing and probably wrong on this one. The shamrock is out of place for a gun. Needs electrolysis.
 
Upvote 0
Looks kinda' like a small hand cannon type weapon I've seen in pictures of sea battles. They were mounted on ship rails and loaded with shot to repel boarders. If it is, it blew up and probably did more damage to the shooter than the borders! Just a guess? Monty
 
Upvote 0
Hope it turns out to be an old gun or cannon part, but from most of the old homesteads where I've dug any cast or sheetmetal parts that are embossed have turned out to be parts of wood/coal burning stoves. It seems in earlier times the stoves were just too heavy or bulky to make the move and were abandoned to become target practice items. Couldn't find a good example,but pictured a fire box cover to show the embossing. Also looked for old stoves with Shamrock designs with no success.
 

Attachments

  • woodstove door.webp
    woodstove door.webp
    22.5 KB · Views: 312
Upvote 0
Hi, It is 1 piece of a 2 piece screen door hinge,circa 1890s - early 1900's . We dig /find alot of these here in colorado in the old mining camps. You can walk around towns like ,Leadville,Cripple Creek,etc,and still find them in use on some of the old houses. The 2 pieces fit together with a spring in the middle,which would pull the door shut. Sincerly PikesPeakCharlie
 
Upvote 0
PikesPeakCharlie said:
Hi, It is 1 piece of a 2 piece screen door hinge,circa 1890s - early 1900's . We dig /find alot of these here in colorado in the old mining camps. You can walk around towns like ,Leadville,Cripple Creek,etc,and still find them in use on some of the old houses. The 2 pieces fit together with a spring in the middle,which would pull the door shut. Sincerly PikesPeakCharlie
I change my mind. I think Charlie is right. Part of a large antique door hinge with spring inside. I cant find a pic but you get the idea. door hinge.webp
 
Upvote 0
Now that I look at it I think he is right. A door spring. Thanks.
 
Upvote 0
Why would anyone make a door hinge that looks like a cannon? :wink: You're probabliy right since I haven't seen the small cannon or the door hinge in real life. Good ID guys. Monty
 
Upvote 0
If there was one out there there should be another. Maybe I'll find it the next time in the woods. Thanks guys.
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Yep I agree cast iron hinge. door hinge cast iron.webp
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom