Need help with this weird looking piece

mxdigger

Jun 30, 2013
Richmond VA
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC 2B, Minelab Musketeer Xs pro, AT Pro, Garrett pro pointer, Xp Deus with pin pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Went relic/fossil hunting yesterday and found this spur in a creek. I also found this other weird looking piece close to it. It looks to be brass, has a dent in the front and there is a wire eye on the back so it could been attached to something. There are no other markings on the piece front or back. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• back view brass emblem skye house.jpg
    back view brass emblem skye house.jpg
    704.2 KB · Views: 88
  • creek spur.jpg
    creek spur.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 60
  • Ibrass emblem enhanced.jpg
    Ibrass emblem enhanced.jpg
    981.6 KB · Views: 61
  • brass emblem syke house.jpg
    brass emblem syke house.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 58

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Based on the two-piece construction and the loop attachment, I'm thinking this is a 'civilian fashion' button dating from c1890 - 1920. :thumbsup:
My feeling is that it's French and likely represents an image of a woman from a stage play or from a classical period of literary history.

"The classical period was a golden age for literature and the arts. The big writers from this period include all those Greek and Roman guys who wrote epics, like Homer of the Iliad and Odyssey fame, and the Roman poet Virgil who wrote the Aeneid. The Greek philosophers Plato, Socrates, and Aristotle called this period home, as did Greek dramatists like Euripides and Aristophanes. As for poets, Horace and Ovid were two of the most influential. So popular was the classical period that later writers, beginning with the Renaissance, often imitated the style of classical authors. This tradition of imitation is where we get the term neoclassical, or new classics."

Nice find on the spur too,
Dave

Attachments

• brass emblem syke house-crop.jpg
    brass emblem syke house-crop.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 51
  • back view brass emblem skye house-crop.jpg
    back view brass emblem skye house-crop.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Based on the two-piece construction and the loop attachment, I'm thinking this is a 'civilian fashion' button dating from c1890 - 1920. :thumbsup:
My feeling is that it's French and likely represents an image of a woman from a stage play or from a classical period of literary history.

"The classical period was a golden age for literature and the arts. The big writers from this period include all those Greek and Roman guys who wrote epics, like Homer of the Iliad and Odyssey fame, and the Roman poet Virgil who wrote the Aeneid. The Greek philosophers Plato, Socrates, and Aristotle called this period home, as did Greek dramatists like Euripides and Aristophanes. As for poets, Horace and Ovid were two of the most influential. So popular was the classical period that later writers, beginning with the Renaissance, often imitated the style of classical authors. This tradition of imitation is where we get the term neoclassical, or new classics."

Dave

Dave is right on. Late Victorian/Edwardian Greek revival fashion button. Possibly Apollo.

il_fullxfull.2051265306_pfy4.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mxdigger

Jun 30, 2013
Richmond VA
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC 2B, Minelab Musketeer Xs pro, AT Pro, Garrett pro pointer, Xp Deus with pin pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Dave

Thanks Dave, I didn't think it was anything related to the Civil War but it came out of a site that a good sized battle was fought. There was a 1700 house site there also and I know people lived in it until a few years ago before it burned down. I have found several different types of pins and badges there along with many, many pieces related the war. The spur was in a creek where there was a forge to cross a main road and I have found a lot of relics in that area. Yesterday I went back and found part of a sword and scabbard in the same spot. It was banged up pretty badly.....probably due to me trying to get it out of that cold muddy water. I couldn't see anything just had to dig and pry til I could get it loose. I also found this big meg tooth up a little further up the creek.

Attachments

• part of sword and scabbard.jpg
    part of sword and scabbard.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 51
  • big tooth.jpg
    big tooth.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 61
Upvote 0

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job on the Relics that Apollo button would have got my blood flowing lol awesome

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Umm... no, not a "western" spur. Specifically, it is a US Cavalry Model-1859 Enlisted-man's spur. Its iron rowel is missing, as usual.

By the way... the fact that the broken-off cavalry sword blade's end you found seems to have still been in an equal length of its scabbard suggests the whole thing is "there"... so please go back to that spot in the creek and dig the rest of the sword and scabbard out. Or, if the creek water is too cold for you, call me (I'm in Richmond too), so I can go dig it. :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mxdigger

Jun 30, 2013
Richmond VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Umm... no, not a "western" spur. Specifically, it is a US Cavalry Model-1859 Enlisted-man's spur. Its iron rowel is missing, as usual.

By the way... the fact that the broken-off cavalry sword blade's end you found seems to have still been in an equal length of its scabbard suggests the whole thing is "there"... so please go back to that spot in the creek and dig the rest of the sword and scabbard out. Or, if the creek water is too cold for you, call me (I'm in Richmond too), so I can go dig it. :)

Yeah I did notice that the two parts were about the same length and figured that the rest was around there somewhere. That part of the creek has that iron layer in the banks so it's pretty hard to hunt. All you get is a pretty constant grunt from the AT Pro with a every now and then chirp. On top of that the scabbard has gold trimmings on the outside edges and all those different sounds, plus this part that I found was pretty deep in the rock and mud. The tip part of the sword and the scabbard tip was about 18" under and angled down to about 24". I probably would never have dug that reading if it had been anywhere else but I was hoping to find that other spur and just decided to dig every reading I got. And you can bet I will be back.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mxdigger

Jun 30, 2013
Richmond VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good job on the Relics that Apollo button would have got my blood flowing lol awesome

Thanks, I guess it is pretty cool part of history.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions