Need help

OP
OP
D

Deepgold

Jan 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you again guys for the ideas. I think the ground is frozen there now with a few inches of snow on top so it might be a couple of months.

There is only 4 corners to this park and its right about a acre or 1/4 of a city block or so. My grandfather had hundreds of acres. Hard packed dirt all the way around each one for a few feet. Not sure if there is rock underneath but know the ground is very very hard. No way would you use a hand held post digger.

I have a big bag packed with every tool I can imagine to pop a post up and dig through rock if I have to(quality pick).

Just narrowing down the pole the quickest will be the first and hardest objective from my perspective.

Tod Ringam

Nov 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most likely the fence was there first; then later your Grandfather dug a hole in one of the corners of the park as a way to
mark it's location. Right, you have to figure out which corner it is. He dug a hole to bury it; you can do the same; dig a hole to un bury it. Just to reiterate; I realy don't think it will be under a post. Just check the inside of each corner. Tod R.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
how long do you think the tie posts have been there,might be a tough deal unless one needs repair

OP
OP
D

Deepgold

Jan 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am trying to get it out....not in

chkn

Apr 12, 2010
The first thing you better do is go get the gps coordinates in case they ever move those posts!!!

Tod Ringam

Nov 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deepgold; I going to take one more stab at this. You must know about how old you were when you saw all of your Grand Fathers loot and about what year it was. This would be before he buried it. Am I right so far? Now try to find out when he
built the park. IF it was built before you saw the gold & silver then the treasure can't possiably be buried under a post. Do you get what I mean? If I'm right, the park was built first; then later he used a corner of it to "mark" the location of his valuables. I hope this will help. Tod R.

OP
OP
D

Deepgold

Jan 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He actually had buried it before he ever opened the safe. I believe him being the rest of the farm used the same style posts.

GhostlyDesigns

Greenie
Aug 14, 2011
north Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites - Prizm 6T and ancient CoinMaster
Primary Interest:
Other
A typical railroad tie is 8 feet 6 inches long, for your sake I hope that fence is not 4 foot tall. I think if it was me I'd be real tempted to get some legal help and then approach the city with a story. Tell the city your grandfather left something personal there as a sort of time capsule for you, and it has sentimental value to you. Explain that your grandfather confided this secret to you and you want to recover what is legally should be yours. Explain that you will bear the cost of removal of the post and repair of the fence, offer a bond as insurance that the job will be properly done, be very professional about it. Don't tell the city that it is any thing of real value just personal value. If the city turns you down keep the legal help on retainer to sue the city should they attempt to remove the post or recover what is under the post. You may have to tell your attorney about the gold so make sure he isn't on the city board or any thing like that, and don't tell him/her until you are sure you are going to hire them. Once you have hired them they have to look after your interests if they don't want to face being disbarred and loosing their ability to practice law, you might even offer to sweeten the deal wit a 10 to 20% recovery fee.

Otherwise you might find a kid with a truck that had a big strong bumper that is willing to have an accident for a hundred dollars or so. Then offer to repair your grandfathers work. But I think I'd wait till spring for the kid in a truck.

OP
OP
D

Deepgold

Jan 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great ideas ghostly. I would be worried about being so far away that someone might catch on the second I say anything about unearthing a post. Plus then Uncle Sam will be standing over me wanting his cut. I just hope it's not a bag full of 1933 double eagles.

I am afraid the posts are deep. I know his post hole digger on the tractor was about 3-4 ft tall. Now whether they cut them down some I am not sure of. They stick out of the ground roughly 3-4 ft tall. The fence is the old sheep style with square-rectangle holes.

I just wish I lived 20 mins away. Instead of so far.

Still the hardest part for me is finding the right post. I don't think he would have marked it.

zumben

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2013
henderson nc
Detector(s) used
i would like to learn how to. I live on two acres that i would like to do sme metaldecting on.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would try digging beside the about a foot away and three to four feet then use the metal detector in the hole to see if u get a hit. if it a gunny sack with alot of gold ull know rt away. hopefully a better reading aswell.

OP
OP
D

Deepgold

Jan 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also I ask if people can not pm me on this matter. I can retrieve it myself and do not need any assistance. Thank you, I am not trying to be rude in any way. Thank you again, for any ideas and again skeptics please feel free to offer advice even if skeptical. I am a very skeptical person and know that skeptics can analyze things that even I may overlook.

Trust me I am worried it might have been a tall tale as well, or if real might have been discovered by a relative who put the post back.

Tod Ringam

Nov 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deepgold; I'm cathing on, you have to forgive me I'm a little slow. I see now. This is not the gold you saw as a young
boy. Maybe it was gold coins that had to be turned in when the goverment confiscated all private gold. So your Grandfather instead of turning in the gold, dropped it down a corner post hole at the park away from his property so
he would never get cought with it. There were severe penaltys. It all makes sense now. I will think about it, have to run. Tod R. ( maybe your wife is right)

Tod Ringam

Nov 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deepgold; I don't think you sould try to grab it, it would lead to nothing but grief. Get an attorney; make a deal with the park people.
Make the best deal you can, you will be glad you did. I belive your Grandfather, it's not a tall tail. Tod R.

vor

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deep
I still don't understand your reluctance to swing your MD around each post. You will walk away knowing more than you know now. And maybe even get your answer.
V

OP
OP
D

Deepgold

Jan 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coordinates are marked. Ground is frozen for sure. As soon as I can get there I will throw everything including the kitchen sink. I think the probes are going to be the ticket since I believe the poles are at least 3ft deep.

10claw

Aug 16, 2009
go to the dowsing forum and ask the dowsers for helk in finding the gold. just take the coords off before you post it for them.

OP
OP
D

Deepgold

Jan 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have posted in that section if I though it might help. Plus I don't like the idea of showing a map.

Got nice pick, a new high level shovel heavy duty style, regular shovel, chain, high lift jack, probes 2 different styles 1just a piece all thread 4ft long with handle welded on, the other a piece of inch wide backstrap (cannot attach handle so I silicone on a tennis ball for a handle)to slide beside the pole, huge crow bar, sledge hammer(I will take a couple whacks on the top of each to see if there is a different sound after I wiggle them some), 2x6 synthetic deck pieces x2 for jack support in case it's muddy. These are divided into 2 large swat bags with holes for handles.

Also going to get a spud bar soon if I can find one local. Besides water this is my tools besides the basic metal detecting tools. Lesche, pp, metal detector with 4 inch coil to get in the hole if need be.

Any other suggestions? Thank you again.

Tod Ringam

Nov 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have posted in that section if I though it might help. Plus I don't like the idea of showing a map.

Got nice pick, a new high level shovel heavy duty style, regular shovel, chain, high lift jack, probes 2 different styles 1just a piece all thread 4ft long with handle welded on, the other a piece of inch wide backstrap (cannot attach handle so I silicone on a tennis ball for a handle)to slide beside the pole, huge crow bar, sledge hammer(I will take a couple whacks on the top of each to see if there is a different sound after I wiggle them some), 2x6 synthetic deck pieces x2 for jack support in case it's muddy. These are divided into 2 large swat bags with holes for handles.

Also going to get a spud bar soon if I can find one local. Besides water this is my tools besides the basic metal detecting tools. Lesche, pp, metal detector with 4 inch coil to get in the hole if need be.

Any other suggestions? Thank you again.

Deepgold; I think it's a bad idea but sounds like you are determined; how about trying a cordless drill and an auger
for drilling holes in the ground, they are @ 1 1/2 inches in diameter and 20 inches long. You would have to add an
extention or extentions to go deep enough to do any good. Try to come in at an angle and intersect the bottom of
the post. If the coins were in a bag you might pull up some canvas. Anyway it's the best idea I could come up with.
And just for the record I don't like it. It's there property, you have no leagal right to it. Please forgive me for being *****y about it. Tod R.

OP
OP
D

Deepgold

Jan 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am just trying to make sure I have all the tools necessary in case I get a green light to dig no matter the circumstances. Be prepared is the Boy Scout motto I live by.

The plan is to put the post back and carry on like nothing happened. My intention was no harm to the park, if anything I will be detecting and cleaning up if I see any trash. I do that anywhere I go.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread