Need help

Deepgold

Jan 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember my grandfather telling me he had buried gold on the outside post of the park that was a mile or so from his farm. I was always the closest grandchild to grandpa growing up. He told me our family was very greedy and it caused nothing but fights and the family splitting up after he passed. I asked others even my mom who was closest to him before me as in a way not to give a location away. She and the rest have no ideas. About my grandfather, he was a very wealthy farmer after the military had hundreds of thousands of dollars in stocks and mainly war bonds I believe? I remember seeing stacks 1 inch thick each of the bonds in his shop safe. In his home safe is where he kept precious metals and old weapons. All that gone after his passing. That is the first time I ever seen the yellow metal and will never forget. Yellow on one side and a huge stack as tall as me of silver bars. Old revolvers and more stocks and bonds with other stuff I don't quite remember.

He tells me then about the buried gold he placed under the posts. He and another farmer built the park back when he pulled stumps for farmers. He said the gold was buried under one of the corner posts.

Dilemma #1 not sure which post been 30yrs

Dilemma #2 the park is right next to a major road. It is pretty busy and there are houses around the park. The old posts are still there. People are gonna freak out if I start pulling a post up.

Dilemma #3 it's 3 1/2 hours away. So round trip is minimum 7 hours. With work and life that's a tough one right now.

Dilemma #4 wife. Don't want no part of that.

So you see my dilemma. And I did inherit my grand fathers fishing tackle and fishing equipment. That is all I truly wanted. We used to fish for hours in that aluminum jobby.

I searched the other forums and you guys seem the most honest and knowing. I have a quality metal detector. That is actually what made me remember was doing local research on a cache and hearing about post hole banks. Like I said 30yrs.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What state are you in, can you buy the land ?

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Go to the authority over the park. Explain that your grandfather built the fence and it is now in poor shape. Say you would like to repair the fence in your grandfathers memory and you will donate your time. Hint, do the corners first. Frank

111-1 profile.jpg

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wood or metal posts?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WHY would your Grandfather bury a substantial amount of his gold in a park a mile from his home? Best of luck to you.

vor

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Obviously steel post.

If they were wood post it would be a no-brainer to take a day trip and swing a quality MD around each post.

v

OP
OP
D

Deepgold

Jan 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Railroad ties not sure how deep but I know there is metal fencing looks like the old sheep style fence around some areas. They have a walk way close to it now looks like rough pea sized gravel.

vor

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Railroad ties not sure how deep but I know there is metal fencing looks like the old sheep style fence around some areas. They have a walk way close to it now looks like rough pea sized gravel.

What did you get when you swung your MD around them?
v

OP
OP
D

Deepgold

Jan 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's only 1 post I noticed I said posts earlier. Maybe more but I remember him saying post.

This day and age no one is going to let you dig anything public. Unless I worked for the city.

After using my detector a couple months I think the metal fence will give me false signals. Post might even be 4 ft deep being he had a tractor mounted post hole digger.

He actually owned the area the park is at and the wild life reserve that was close by. He would give the land up as he seen fit as long as it was maintained. People would pay him just to hunt the land next to the reserve. He was ok with any extra game.

Just trying to come up with a idea.

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't want to seem like a skep, but why wouldn't he have just buried it on his own property?

If your talking about a lot of gold who cares if its a few hours away and if you need to take a couple days off from work. Go for it.

OP
OP
D

Deepgold

Jan 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can get within inches if I turn it down but that defeats the purpose. I think he just drilled the holes lets say around 2-3 feet at bottom of hole. So he probably dug another foot or so and dropped in a bag or gunny sack with the package. Not sure he might have just dumped them. He did not plan on getting them back I guess unless dire straights maybe. He has the same style fence on the old ranch which has since changed hands.

OP
OP
D

Deepgold

Jan 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's more the digging the poles up. I know how to pull a post but the fence would make it a mess and prob not go back in with all the wire.

I am cool with people being skeptical. I figured it would happen. I will not try to convince any of you just ask for any ideas you might have. Thank you for taking easy on me.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm surprised it would be under a corner post. Much harder to get to than a regular post that could be pulled easily after detaching the fence.

If it's 3 ft. deep or more, most metal detectors won't help you.

If you are sure about which post it's under, I would show up just before daylight, dig down beside the post and see what you can see. You can dig 3 ft. fairly quickly if it's not very rocky. Use a post hole digger and a spud bar.

Good Luck.

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
Look for the odd post. Rock near it..or anything unusual. Take up photography and spend time taking pictures of that park and wildlife and scoping it out. If he meant to make it retrievable.. I wonder if he would buried it UNDER the post. Maybe he left a carving on the right post .Walk along the road with a garbage bag and ski pole or something looking for pop cans. That might get you close to the posts and you are cleaning up the environment too.

OP
OP
D

Deepgold

Jan 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I DO NOT think he meant to retrieve it unless he for some reason he went broke. Maybe a drastic measure.

I really like the photography idea and the picking up trash and then detect. Those are great ideas and cheaper than a ninja suit.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I have seen jars of coins under posts, but always a line post, not a corner post. Perhaps the post is just the marker. It might be beside the post, not under it. Frank

111-1 profile.jpg

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could you approach the groundskeeper, caretaker, or guardian and explain in vague terms the situation. Don't mention the posts. Agree a cut, and get him to help.
Failing that, would a probe work?
Me, I'd get a hardhat and high viz jacket, and a hand probe, and pretend I was asked to come and repair the fence if anyone asked!

OP
OP
D

Deepgold

Jan 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A rod or maybe a metal back strap slid down the side of the pole possibly. Just throwing down ideas to pinpoint the proper pole.

Dec 26, 2006
jersey
Detector(s) used
MXT
I like the fixing the fence idea as well. Were the metal posts put in concrete in the holes? If so, then it would lead me to believe that the gold is buried near the post but not under it as the concrete would take up considerable space in the post hole. .....2 cents

Tod Ringam

Nov 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deep Gold; How many corner posts can there be? I don't think it would be under the post either. I favor the inside of a
corner post. This is just an idea: Check only one corner post at a time so some one doesn't catch on to what you are doing even if it means more trips. The metal fence is a problem but, you should get some thing"different", at the RIGHT corner. It probably won't be that close to the corner anyway, (you have to have room to dig), it could be a couple of feet away. You should try it; it may not be a problem at all. Take care and good luck, Tod R.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread