Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I found this very small old iron round ball bullet mold in an abandoned building many years ago in S. Florida. It cleaned up nicely, only very minor pitting. It is approximately .30 something caliber, I think. A .44 round ball is to big. It has a very crude screw with a square head that I cannot remove. Has a square piece on the end of one of the handles. I can find no markings. I dont know if its Spanish, English, or American. Can anybody date or ID?

Attachments

• MVC-006E.JPG
    MVC-006E.JPG
    8.3 KB · Views: 2,206
  • MVC-007E.JPG
    MVC-007E.JPG
    7.7 KB · Views: 2,784
  • MVC-008F.JPG
    MVC-008F.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 1,138

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.
I Would Say Mid 1700's - Mid 1800's As They Did Not Change All That Much Before The CW, I Also Think That It Is Most Likley English Or American Made. trk5capt...

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Maybe I'm a damned idiot for even suggesting this, but why not drop some lead in that thing and see what you get?

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Montana Jim said:
Maybe I'm a damned idiot for even suggesting this, but why not drop some lead in that thing and see what you get?
I never melted lead before. How do I do it? I guess I need a ladle? What temp?

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Dang... Um, never done it myself. BUT, I stand there and watch my buddy make 45-70 bullets all day long while I drink beer and hang out.

He has a small kit that heats with a little electrical base and a small pot he melts old wheel weights in. Then, pours in the mold and waits a bit. Then, he dumps them out and thats it. It dosnt take long!

Your local outdoorstore prolly sells kits and stuff... :-\

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Thanks. I may check into it. Then I would know the exact dimension. I believe it to be a .30 something caliber pistol.

flip

Jan 29, 2005
kansas city/ osceola missouri
Detector(s) used
garret deepseeker , ace 250, DMC11ba
Lead melts at a little over 600 degrees. You can do it on the stove in an old pan or something. Hold the mold cavity over the flame of a candle to coat it with soot, that keeps the lead from sticking when you open it up.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
If you have a good heavy ladle or spoon, you can melt lead with a Coleman cookstove or you can try taking shavings of lead and putting it in the bullet mold. Add as needed till full but you have to keep it close to the flame as you add to the molten lead. If you do it this way you'll get an idea of diameter.
To do it properly, a bullet ladle is filled and melted then poured through the sprue hole. When full and cooled, the sprue cutter is knocked out of the way leaving just the ball in the mold.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
It seems hard to pour in that little hole, but i will try. I also need to clean the corrosion from the inside halves. Thanks.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Once you've cleaned the corrosion, it should work pretty well. You'll find that it takes a few moldings to get the mold hot enough to make a smooth casting of the ball. If a .44 cal ball is too big, you may have possibly a .36 cal mold. It was used mainly for small game and squirrels. Some molds had a sprue cutter that swiveled when hit to knock the sprue or extra lead off the ball before removing from the mold.
Yours is different in that the sprue cutter is part of the handle. It would be used in a similar way you'd use wire dikes or pliers. See the adjusted pic below.

Attachments

• bullet mold.jpg
    bullet mold.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 3,222
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I figured that was a cutter. I dont know what the square end of the handle was for.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Not sure what it's for offhand unless it's used as a hammer along with a knife or bayonet to cut off small pieces of bullet sized lead from a larger piece. ??? All the ones I've seen have regular handles like on the other side.

Tourezrick

Nov 2, 2006
South Side of Chicago (the baddest part of town)
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Do me one big favor - melt your lead outside if at all possible! Lead is still toxic, and even a little bit of fumes isn't good for you, and spilling lead in the kitchen is a sure way to get shot by the lady of the house. You could melt wheel weights, but black powder shooters usually don't use them because they are a harder alloy, dont take to the lands and grooves well. Just to try the mold, it won't hurt. Hardware and home stores still carry ladles. Have fun!

Tourezrick

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Tourezrick said:
Do me one big favor - melt your lead outside if at all possible! Lead is still toxic, and even a little bit of fumes isn't good for you, and spilling lead in the kitchen is a sure way to get shot by the lady of the house. Tourezrick

Yikes... Yes! Great advise! :-\

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Tourezrick, very good advise. When I mentioned the Coleman stove, I've never fired it up in the house and so the possibility of lead vapors along with the carbon monoxide in enclosed areas means no MDing ever again.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you guys are nuts just use some warm candle wax ::)

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Or tenn could work? It melt easier then lead I think..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread