What's new

Need opions/help on possible gold ring.

lonelyduckhunter

Sr. Member
Joined
May 5, 2009
Messages
353
Reaction score
80
Golden Thread
0
Location
Easton, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI2500, Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this ring today in a old field house's, stores & Post Office dates back to 1732 last 70 years its been fields. The ring is marked 18k on inside of band and weights 9 grams a filed a small bit down and it looks like gold but the outer color is brown. It rang in the pull tab-penny range. My question is can gold turn this color? Or do you believe it may be a old fake ring.

160oe10.jpg


25zp9iw.jpg


18k mark on inside band
e9b30h.jpg


Any opions?
 
Was probably plated brass, an older fake and maybe more common a find than you think. (I've seen many) The cut you made is showing brass not gold.
 
Upvote 0
Iron Patch said:
Was probably plated brass, an older fake and maybe more common a find than you think. (I've seen many) The cut you made is showing brass not gold.

agreed
 
Upvote 0
What do you mean by this statement? "Found this ring today in a old field house's, stores & Post Office dates back to 1732 last 70 years its been fields" ???
 
Upvote 0
Clean it up a bit and show us! Forgive me, but I don't believe "gold turns another color." That's a true about gold; it's gold.

Interesting find! :hello2: :hello2:
 
Upvote 0
Could it be tarnished silver? Or tarished something else?
 

Attachments

  • tarnished silver ring.webp
    tarnished silver ring.webp
    19.6 KB · Views: 298
Upvote 0
SkyPirate said:
What do you mean by this statement? "Found this ring today in a old field house's, stores & Post Office dates back to 1732 last 70 years its been fields" ???

It means this site used to have 7 houses, 2 Stores and 1 Post Office dating back to mid 1700's. The last 70 years it's been a corn/soybean field.
 
Upvote 0
Iron Patch said:
Was probably plated brass, an older fake and maybe more common a find than you think. (I've seen many) The cut you made is showing brass not gold.

The cut your looking at is how it was. The small cut I made for some reason did not show up in pic #2. Really hate to be hacking on it deep until I get it tested.

I know it's not silver. Probaly is fake will know today but a very neat find for a soybean field imo.
 
Upvote 0
I Found one 10K in my life
that Tarnished Bad.

May have been what it was Mixed with.
it Cleand up in my Hand though just by Holding it
& Rubbing it with my Thumb.
 
Upvote 0
lonelyduckhunter said:
Iron Patch said:
Was probably plated brass, an older fake and maybe more common a find than you think. (I've seen many) The cut you made is showing brass not gold.

The cut your looking at is how it was. The small cut I made for some reason did not show up in pic #2. Really hate to be hacking on it deep until I get it tested.

I know it's not silver. Probaly is fake will know today but a very neat find for a soybean field imo.
Fields is the only place I hunt, must be much nicer items out there, keep at those fields :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0
Noodle said:
Clean it up a bit and show us! Forgive me, but I don't believe "gold turns another color." That's a true about gold; it's gold.

Interesting find! :hello2: :hello2:
Gold does tarnish, not always come out like Gold, have a look at this coin I found last year, as it come out, and after cleaning :thumbsup:

SS
 

Attachments

  • S&H 008.webp
    S&H 008.webp
    62.8 KB · Views: 256
  • gs 007.webp
    gs 007.webp
    30.4 KB · Views: 263
  • S&H 008.webp
    S&H 008.webp
    62.8 KB · Views: 251
  • gs 007.webp
    gs 007.webp
    30.4 KB · Views: 241
Upvote 0
Silver Searcher said:
Noodle said:
Clean it up a bit and show us! Forgive me, but I don't believe "gold turns another color." That's a true about gold; it's gold.

Interesting find! :hello2: :hello2:
Gold does tarnish, not always come out like Gold, have a look at this coin I found last year, as it come out, and after cleaning :thumbsup:

SS

I'm going to agree with both of you & be a bit of a *****

"Tarnish is a thin layer that forms over copper, brass, silver, aluminum, and other semi-reactive metals as their outermost layer undergoes a chemical reaction"

(gold is inert)
Gold generally doesn't tarnish but picks up iron residue (for example) in areas were there are heavy concentrations.

Of course if gold is mixed with other base metals then differences can occur.
 
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
Noodle said:
Clean it up a bit and show us! Forgive me, but I don't believe "gold turns another color." That's a true about gold; it's gold.

Interesting find! :hello2: :hello2:
Gold does tarnish, not always come out like Gold, have a look at this coin I found last year, as it come out, and after cleaning :thumbsup:

SS

I'm going to agree with both of you & be a bit of a *****

"Tarnish is a thin layer that forms over copper, brass, silver, aluminum, and other semi-reactive metals as their outermost layer undergoes a chemical reaction"

(gold is inert)
Gold generally doesn't tarnish but picks up iron residue (for example) in areas were there are heavy concentrations.

Of course if gold is mixed with other base metals then differences can occur.
Doesn't matter how it ocurs ::) he said doesn't turn another colour, items from the sea do so also, I know it's seepage or rea-action ::)gees, why get involved ???
 
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
Noodle said:
Clean it up a bit and show us! Forgive me, but I don't believe "gold turns another color." That's a true about gold; it's gold.

Interesting find! :hello2: :hello2:
Gold does tarnish, not always come out like Gold, have a look at this coin I found last year, as it come out, and after cleaning :thumbsup:

SS

I'm going to agree with both of you & be a bit of a *****

"Tarnish is a thin layer that forms over copper, brass, silver, aluminum, and other semi-reactive metals as their outermost layer undergoes a chemical reaction"

(gold is inert)
Gold generally doesn't tarnish but picks up iron residue (for example) in areas were there are heavy concentrations.

Of course if gold is mixed with other base metals then differences can occur.


So maybe it's a 1k ring posted above. ;D
 
Upvote 0
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
Noodle said:
Clean it up a bit and show us! Forgive me, but I don't believe "gold turns another color." That's a true about gold; it's gold.

Interesting find! :hello2: :hello2:
Gold does tarnish, not always come out like Gold, have a look at this coin I found last year, as it come out, and after cleaning :thumbsup:

SS

I'm going to agree with both of you & be a bit of a *****

"Tarnish is a thin layer that forms over copper, brass, silver, aluminum, and other semi-reactive metals as their outermost layer undergoes a chemical reaction"

(gold is inert)
Gold generally doesn't tarnish but picks up iron residue (for example) in areas were there are heavy concentrations.

Of course if gold is mixed with other base metals then differences can occur.
Doesn't matter how it ocurs ::) he said doesn't turn another colour, items from the sea do so also, I know it's seepage or rea-action ::)gees, why get involved ???

I like facts.
 
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
Noodle said:
Clean it up a bit and show us! Forgive me, but I don't believe "gold turns another color." That's a true about gold; it's gold.

Interesting find! :hello2: :hello2:
Gold does tarnish, not always come out like Gold, have a look at this coin I found last year, as it come out, and after cleaning :thumbsup:

SS

I'm going to agree with both of you & be a bit of a *****

"Tarnish is a thin layer that forms over copper, brass, silver, aluminum, and other semi-reactive metals as their outermost layer undergoes a chemical reaction"

(gold is inert)
Gold generally doesn't tarnish but picks up iron residue (for example) in areas were there are heavy concentrations.

Of course if gold is mixed with other base metals then differences can occur.
Doesn't matter how it ocurs ::) he said doesn't turn another colour, items from the sea do so also, I know it's seepage or rea-action ::)gees, why get involved ???

I like facts.
Didn't I show one :icon_scratch:
 
Upvote 0
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
Noodle said:
Clean it up a bit and show us! Forgive me, but I don't believe "gold turns another color." That's a true about gold; it's gold.

Interesting find! :hello2: :hello2:
Gold does tarnish, not always come out like Gold, have a look at this coin I found last year, as it come out, and after cleaning :thumbsup:

SS

I'm going to agree with both of you & be a bit of a *****

"Tarnish is a thin layer that forms over copper, brass, silver, aluminum, and other semi-reactive metals as their outermost layer undergoes a chemical reaction"

(gold is inert)
Gold generally doesn't tarnish but picks up iron residue (for example) in areas were there are heavy concentrations.

Of course if gold is mixed with other base metals then differences can occur.
Doesn't matter how it ocurs ::) he said doesn't turn another colour, items from the sea do so also, I know it's seepage or rea-action ::)gees, why get involved ???

I like facts.
Didn't I show one :icon_scratch:

You made a very good point, & I partly agreed, just clarified the point. Gold is inert as other were pointing at, & yes Gold can change colour, but its not tarnish unless its mixed with base metal.
 
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
Noodle said:
Clean it up a bit and show us! Forgive me, but I don't believe "gold turns another color." That's a true about gold; it's gold.

Interesting find! :hello2: :hello2:
Gold does tarnish, not always come out like Gold, have a look at this coin I found last year, as it come out, and after cleaning :thumbsup:

SS

I'm going to agree with both of you & be a bit of a *****

"Tarnish is a thin layer that forms over copper, brass, silver, aluminum, and other semi-reactive metals as their outermost layer undergoes a chemical reaction"

(gold is inert)
Gold generally doesn't tarnish but picks up iron residue (for example) in areas were there are heavy concentrations.

Of course if gold is mixed with other base metals then differences can occur.
Doesn't matter how it ocurs ::) he said doesn't turn another colour, items from the sea do so also, I know it's seepage or rea-action ::)gees, why get involved ???

I like facts.
Didn't I show one :icon_scratch:

You made a very good point, & I partly agreed, just clarified the point. Gold is inert as other were pointing at, & yes Gold can change colour, but its not tarnish unless its mixed with base metal.
You didn't clarify anything ::) tarnish, stain what does it matter, it hasn't come out yellow, which is the point that was made, as usuall you just jumped in ???
 
Upvote 0
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
Noodle said:
Clean it up a bit and show us! Forgive me, but I don't believe "gold turns another color." That's a true about gold; it's gold.

Interesting find! :hello2: :hello2:
Gold does tarnish, not always come out like Gold, have a look at this coin I found last year, as it come out, and after cleaning :thumbsup:

SS

I'm going to agree with both of you & be a bit of a *****

"Tarnish is a thin layer that forms over copper, brass, silver, aluminum, and other semi-reactive metals as their outermost layer undergoes a chemical reaction"

(gold is inert)
Gold generally doesn't tarnish but picks up iron residue (for example) in areas were there are heavy concentrations.

Of course if gold is mixed with other base metals then differences can occur.
Doesn't matter how it ocurs ::) he said doesn't turn another colour, items from the sea do so also, I know it's seepage or rea-action ::)gees, why get involved ???

I like facts.
Didn't I show one :icon_scratch:

You made a very good point, & I partly agreed, just clarified the point. Gold is inert as other were pointing at, & yes Gold can change colour, but its not tarnish unless its mixed with base metal.
You didn't clarify anything ::) tarnish, stain what does it matter, it hasn't come out yellow, which is the point that was made, as usuall you just jumped in ???

OK
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom