Need some help on my First Flat Button

benmmaddog

May 17, 2011
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found my first flat button this weekend , but I was wondering if you could help me place a age to it
P1030616.jpg

P1030609.jpg

I can see STAND on the back
Was wondering when it was made ,roughly only thing I could find with stand in it was "TREBLE GILT STAND d". but didn't even know if I was close
Thanks in advance

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treble gilt standard was a pretty common backmark for those flat buttons, I would say early-mid 1800s. But i may be wrong.

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The word "STANDARD" (or abbreviated as "STANDd") in a 1-piece brass flat-button's backmark means it is British-made. If dug in the US, and if the backmark is written in indented (not raised) letters, the 1-piece button dates from approximately 1810 though the 1830s (when the need to import British 1-piece buttons ended). If dug in the UK, it can date as late as the 1840s.)

Upvote 0

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you have not cleaned it much try using aluminum jelly. Work at it with a toothpick. The crud will come off and leave the patina. You may have to repeat a couple times depending on how crudded it is. That is all I use to clean the back of my buttons. You will be able to read everything very clear.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions