What eagle is this?

Jul 3, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hope you can help finding out exactly what this is, ive been through hundreds of google pages trying.

I found it a few days ago near a new tree so they probably lifted it up some when they dug the hole for the tree.

Thanks for looking and hope you can help

eagle.jpg

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
It looked familiar to me so i looked at a 1830 half dollar and the eagle on the half is almost an exact match,except yours doesnt have the shield on its chest.I know that its probably irrelevant but i thought I would throw it out there anyway.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D
Jul 3, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the help....I've looked at the eagle designs, some like the fire assurance plates but its just too small and the plates were always round/oval, it also looks like a confederate eagle but its holding onto what looks like lightning and the confederates held arrows, even saw the NRA design which has one claw holding lightning and the other holding a bag but cant find anything that really matches it.

There a roman coin has a more closer version of it so it could have had its design taken from that but i cant find and insigna, motif, badge, plaque, medal, etc anywhere.

It has a line across the backs lower line to about 1/8" high and i believe a slight curve side to side on it as though it was perhaps fixed to soemthing by its bottom edge rear and a circular object but theres nothing out there that matches it, ive looked at maybe 4/5000 images trying to find it.

Just hoping someone had already seen one before so id have a cluse when i take it to my md club meet next month

Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
It almost looks like a part of a hat badge, something like a cockade or militia badge, but I don't recognize it. Maybe the CannonBallGuy will recognize it and chime in. Neat piece!

Upvote 0

duggap

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Detector(s) used
Tosoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I first thought it was off a powder flask, but it doesn't look quite right somehow, for a powder flask.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D
Jul 3, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It seems to be cast, with the little green bits it could be bronze, there is a tiny curve to its left to right shape

eagle 2.jpg eagle 3.jpg

Hope these extra two pictures help, it does look like it attatched by the base 1/8" and it has what looks like a fan type top edge

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread