Need some help with ID of tokens

Huntingnova

Jun 2, 2019
Fort Wayne IN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter land star pro / Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One day last posting these pics, but I have hit a 20-30 ft radius area and have pulled 4 tokens and some buttons out of the ground. Hitting them about 4" deep ( everything else has been 6-8" deep). These tokens have been found in Whitley county near Columbia city Indiana. Some key notes is that most of coins and tokens are between 1926-1947. Several stable/horse items are being found, horse shoes, civil war heart buckle. The token on the left is about the size of a dime and not in good shape. At first I thought a train, lumber mill, and or a ferry. I will have better pics soon. The right one is in-between a 50 cent piece and a quarter. both were within 3 ft of each other. I have also noticed that the large roots have been pulling up the coins vs. the field. I am doing some research thought I try to see if anyone came across these. thanks!
IMG_20190603_111334.jpg IMG_20190603_111347.jpg IMG_20190603_130408.jpg

Upvote 4

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The smaller piece looks more like a button to me. I don't find anything in the token database on the second piece. I would suggest looking in local directories and such for a saloonkeeper with those initials. You might get lucky and find a link.

OP
OP
H

Huntingnova

Jun 2, 2019
Fort Wayne IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good thinking. The more I look a the back side, it does look like a button. Aslo found two other buttons similar size with the words " wear well". Thanks for the help!

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Colorado the Good For 5cts at the Bar would be from the 1880-1890 period, usually late 1880's.
Until you can track down the meaning of the initials, it's gonna be considered a "maverick"
Still, that's a real nice find, and any token collector that views your post will be envious.
You know it's a bar, so if you can check older business directories for the area where you dug it, you might just get lucky attributing it to a
particular business.
The research is the second part of the fun!
Kudos,
Carl

OP
OP
H

Huntingnova

Jun 2, 2019
Fort Wayne IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you for the info! Loving the research and history of it all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread