✅ SOLVED Need to I.D. A Nickel size Disc Found In A Turn Of The Century Site

turf_aholic

May 5, 2009
PNW
**Also posted on Todays finds**

Evening Tnet folks. Picked this out of a monster iron pit that had goodies going back to the late 1800's/early 1900's.
This started out as a nasty glob of corrosion but thru some weak electro cleaning, has started to get my heart going.
Once I started making out the details, I stopped cleaning right away.

7/8" in diameter. Just slightly larger than a US nickel.

This rings up as a solid 11-02 on a Minelab SE.

Any help before I continue (or not) cleaning would be a huge help. If I need to rotate the images, let me know.
Thanks All!!!

Peter
aka. Turfaholic

Attachments

• 5Aug2014d.JPG
    5Aug2014d.JPG
    477.6 KB · Views: 103
  • 5Aug2014c.JPG
    5Aug2014c.JPG
    446.9 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0103.JPG
    IMG_0103.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 77
  • securedownload.jpg
    securedownload.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 289
Last edited:
OP
OP
turf_aholic

turf_aholic

May 5, 2009
PNW
Based on size, weight, and the detail we can see I think this is your coin... or darn close to it:

Herennia Etruscilla, AR Antoninianus, 249-253, Rome
HER ETRVSCILLA AVG
Draped bust right on crescent, hair waved and tucked at back of neck, stephane in hair
PVDICITIA AVG
Pudicitia, veiled, seated left, drawing veil with right hand, scepter in left
20mm x 22mm, 3.83g
RIC IV, Part III, 59b (Trajan Decius) (C)

On this page second from the bottom:

Herennia Etruscilla

Awesome find.

DCMatt

Hats off to DCMatt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!... :occasion14::occasion14:

You hit it out of the park and you were only off by about 3 degrees in rotation!! Incredible man!!!!
I am marking this as SOLVED as soon as I update or create a new post on the main forum. (I am waiting for confirmation from a English source what probability that this is the real thing vs. a really old fake. So far so good)

Again I really appreciate everybody's efforts and time in helping with identifying this coin.
SilverSearcher-DCMatt-QUICKSILVER-NVNutcase.... :headbang::headbang::headbang:
MANY HEARTFELT THANKS!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NVNutcase

Sep 9, 2013
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats to you, for finding the coin. DCMatt made the ID. Looks like there are several varieties of that Herennia Etruscilla coin.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
turf_aholic

turf_aholic

May 5, 2009
PNW
Congrats to you, for finding the coin. DCMatt made the ID. Looks like there are several varieties of that Herennia Etruscilla coin.
Yes and this one was probably minted 250AD which was almost in the middle of the coin run. The reason for the year is that the weight is nearly spot on. (Less the pitting and corrosion on my coin) Right now before going forward I want to be at least reasonably sure that is genuine. So far it is holding up as the counterfeit's weight is much different as well as the general make up. ie. it is doubtful that a fake would have lasted as long or stood up to the environmental damage that this one did.

Anyway I still want to be cautious but at the same time, the excitement is really adding up!!

Have a great weekend.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread