Neighbor puttin in a new lawn!

Mudslide

Sep 18, 2005
Brandon,VT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:D
I asked the guy 3 doors down if I could do his yard since his grass was gone and he had not replanted it yet. Found 2 wheat pennies and a couple of memorials, a dime and this .925 silver ring. Since I am new to this hobby it was rather exciting for me. I shined it up and gave it to the guy for his wife or sister. On our street the houses were built in the 20's. I have found pennies as old as 1917, but no old nickels, dimes or quarters. Did they not lose these types of coins back then? ???

Attachments

• Silver Ringsm 10-06-05.jpg
    Silver Ringsm 10-06-05.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 509
Upvote 0

Calico Jack

Sep 20, 2005
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Back then, a nickel, dime, and certainly a quarter were worth looking for. I remember back in my day, when a dime was worth something. You could buy a steak dinner, a scoop of ice cream, a pair of shoes, two tickets to the World's Fair, and still have enough left over to make a down payment on one of those newfangled gasoline auto-mobiles. My pappy used to say, "When you drive the auto-mobile, watch out for pigeons," which were always on the road until the Kaiser captured them all to use for communicating with the Masons during the war... Sorry, what was I talking about? ???

Nice ring.

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Great looking ring, WTG!!!
Nice of you to let them have it, good P.R., maybe they can turn you on to some other great spots...
I remember back as a kid in the early 60's a quarter would buy ya a donut, and a coke/ or chocolate milk, and still have enough change left over to pitch in on a pack of $0.32 cent cigarettes...
Good luck & Happy hunting~

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
COOL Ring.

Jeff

kermit

Aug 9, 2005
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Whites V3I, AT PRO, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find.
I found one something like it.
The one I found was in the water
for what looked like years.
It was black. It took some cleaning
but I got it back

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
My grandmother's house was built in the 20's. This was the best place we ever hunted. We found 29 Wheats, buffalo nickels, mercury dimes, silver war nickels, silver rosevelt dimes, and a Walking Liberty Half. About 140 coins total on a very small lot. The key here was that there were five boys in the family. Most of this was stuff they (my dad and his brothers) lost when they were kids in the 30's. Kids are great for loosing money. ;D So I think you need to do every house on that street!

Good luck.

Bob

WeaponsUSMC

Jul 26, 2005
Findlay Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Very nice ring, you did a good thing by giving the ring back to him, words will spread about your generosity and hopefully open up more yards to detect. HH....Bill

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the ring. ?Keep on diggin !

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice ring!

HH

Lonewolfe

Crutch

Sep 1, 2005
Springfield Tennessee
Detector(s) used
DFX / Eagle II SL 90
Way to go mudslide, maybe they'll ask you what you have been finding in the future, which leads to lead on other places.

I like your picture, I think they call it avitar or something. I thought the EYE would get on peoples nerve and was thinking about changing to the ostrich. (spelling?)

Mike in Fla.

Sep 4, 2005
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Minelab Quattro, Minelab Exp. II, Garrett Ace 250, GTXA 1000,
nice find, my neighbor just put down new sod, I should have ask him to hunt his yard.
Congrats again.

Mike

OP
OP
Mudslide

Mudslide

Sep 18, 2005
Brandon,VT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
::)
Thank you guys for your kind words. You are right- back then even a nickel was valuable, so they probably hung onto them tighter! My sister theorized that the pennies were in the front lawn because kids got them at Halloween and in disgust discarded them (not candy!) or dropped them from their goody bags as they ran from house to house. Maybe there is silver here and it is deeper and will take more diligent searching.

Crutch- I like your eyeball. It looks "all-knowing"! ;)

southern gent

Aug 1, 2004
Pickens Co. S.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Sovriegn. Whites. Garret
Primary Interest:
Other
Just another argument for Treasure is where you look. Great looking ring Mudslide. Don't be downhearted though, there are plenty of old coins left out there. Keep-a-lookin'. You'll find it. HH! Chris

caratjuice

Oct 15, 2004
Washington State
That was a good opportunity so close to home. Nice ring. I found many wheats in my yard and lots of clad but no silver. Always wondered about that too. Welcome to the forum.

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont
Hey Mudslide, I think your sister is close with her idea. Back in the twenties up to the fifties, when a kid got their allowance it was usually in pennies. Adults did not tend to lose their change as much as the kids. A kid would carry it around in their pockets and play in the lawn and would lose the pennies. Back around the depression, any cash was vital to existence and they would search long and hard for any lost coin, particularly anything made of silver or nickel.
I have found quite a few wheaties and was not getting too excited about them, until I decided to see how many of the dates I could find. I bought a cheap coin album and started putting them in the album as I found them. I now enjoy finding the wheaties much more than I used too. And you always have to be on the look out for the 1909 S VDB and the other key dates, 1914-D, 1909-S and 1931 S. It adds a little more fun to the hunt. Congrats on the finds...Lance

beetle662

Bronze Member
Jul 25, 2003
Independence, KY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+
Nice ring Mudslide!

Keep at it... those silver coins will pop up for you soon. When you dig wheats, that is certainly a good sign.

Check along the edges of the sidewalks, under the big old trees, by the outhouse... these areas have just about always paid off with a silver coin for me. Sometimes, though, they just aren't there.

Best of luck to you, and keep us posted!

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice hunt, Mudslide. I bet if you went over the yard again real slow and in a different direction, you'll find more goodies.

It was nice of you to give away the ring.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread