Never a dull moment in the creek

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today we went downstream until we got to a section of fallen trees and trash so had to turn around and went upstream a bit...was a real nice day but pickins were slim, but did find a couple of interesting things. 1) an old box turtle shell, poor lil guy, does it look like someone shot or stabbed him? 2) I think it's a talon from a big bird, we do have Hawks and big crows, might be a tooth from something and 3) 2 small shards. Need another big rain I think but the leaves are beginning to fall and making it hard to see :icon_scratch: I have a new camera so pics are alot better!

Attachments

• WP_20130908_004.jpg
    WP_20130908_004.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 122
Upvote 0

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had days that I didn't find that much, that's why we call it artifact hunting if it was real easy everyone would do it:thumbsup:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ran into a section like that walking the creek the other day. I decided to go on top of the bank and walk around it. Big mistake on my part it was very dense and snaky looking. I did it anyway but then the bank was so steep to get back into the creek I just kinda slid down it till I hit the water, it was a long slide and I wont do it again. At least you found 2 pieces of pottery and it probably was better than staying at home. HH, rock

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting Finds! :icon_thumleft: The tooth looks like a muskrat incisor.

OP
OP
NCPeaches

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep the bank was too steep to climb and we decided to take the blockage apart another day lol...yeppers was alot better than mowing or housework and had a few hours quality time with my son. I'm so glad he likes to walk the creek too since we've spotted another snake just like the other one except smaller and he will kill it if need be. I don't care what NC Wildlife says, that water snake looks alot like a cottonmouth to this GA girl and I'm glad it gets gone fast when it spots us.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We got muskrats and small beavers in the creeks around here.

OP
OP
NCPeaches

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We got muskrats and small beavers in the creeks around here.

No telling what all has been and still is in the creek and I just never paid attention until now, although I have seen muskrats in other areas but personally not in my area. And apparently those little muskrats have made homes too.I know that downstream and just across the pasture there are all kinds of animals, coyotes, bobcats, deer, etc. It's State land and Wildlife commission trains over there. We used to have minks, or at least that's what my cajun husband used to call them, pretty brave lil fellas they are too!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen turtles in the creek I hunt but no snakes at all. Im not complaining but was thinking the water might be to cold cause it is spring fed. But if there is water turtles you would think there would be snakes.

OP
OP
NCPeaches

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen turtles in the creek I hunt but no snakes at all. Im not complaining but was thinking the water might be to cold cause it is spring fed. But if there is water turtles you would think there would be snakes.

Do you see little fish? We see horny heads in the deeper areas and that's where the snakes usually are. We don't have any water turtles in this section of the creek but in the bigger creeks of the surrounding area there are big mud turtles. The creek I hunt is spring fed too and I've seen the biggest water snake lying in wait on the bottom in the middle of January on a warm day so be careful.

painterx7

Silver Member
Jul 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've killed a couple of cotton mouths in spring fed creeks ;)

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you see little fish? We see horny heads in the deeper areas and that's where the snakes usually are. We don't have any water turtles in this section of the creek but in the bigger creeks of the surrounding area there are big mud turtles. The creek I hunt is spring fed too and I've seen the biggest water snake lying in wait on the bottom in the middle of January on a warm day so be careful.

Yikes! There is some deep spots in the creek. I might start swimming them then instead of walking them. Yeah I have seen some small fish but dont know what type they are. Might be trout.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread