Never Give Up, A First For Us!!!

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Hello all T-Netters! It has been a while since I last posted on any finds. It's been a pretty busy summer both at work and treasure hunting. :icon_thumleft: Don and I have been out a few times digging up the privies as the property owners allow us. So we have been in a few pits along the way during the dog days of summer. Hmmm, now the fall has hit and we like this weather better when we dig 4,000 pounds of dirt from an outhouse:tongue3:

So we gained permission to dig a yard that had a home on it but has long since been demolished. Our maps that we looked at showed the home there in 1893. So we really didn't know exactly how old it was. That is some of the fun of treasure hunting, doing research and not knowing just how old a property is or was. We had a start with the map, so we platted it out using an overlay of google earth over the 1893 map. It gave us a really close idea as to where the property lines were back then. Which in turn gave us a starting point to start probing.8-) Now we began to probe and within a couple of minutes we located a pit. Usually the privies end up being side by side. And this was no exception. There were 3 in a row running right down the property line.:headbang: So we dug the middle one first and ended up with a very nice amber whiskey bottle with Cunningham and Ihmsen on the base. So that dated the privy around 1866 to 1878. Most of the other items were broken hinge mold pieces that would coincide with the dates. Not much in this one so we finished up and moved to the next. Again we didn't locate much other than a couple of broken blob beers which would date this pit to the 1890's. So far so good as far as our research goes. That pit was closest to the house too. So we went back to the absolute corner of the property to begin the last pit. But we ran out of daylight:BangHead: On to the next day we go and or hopes that this last pit would yield even older goodies. We started our dig and found a Piso's Cure for Consumption near the top of the privy, which is great to see because everything else below must be older! :icon_thumleft: So down we went when we hit the "Use Layer" around 5 feet down. Out pops a nice wax sealer fruit jar from The Mutual Glass Co. Then a nice Radways Sarsaparillian Resolvent and a Killer but broken basket weave honey amber flask. :BangHead: It's seems like the good ones were shattered. There were several historical flask pieces including a a cannon flask, a double eagle and a Union clasped hands. Ugh, those hurt! But none the less we hammered on to find another wax sealer jar and a really nice Hawthorn Springs mineral water bottle. Several Ayers bottles showed after a long slumber and even the lid to one of the wax sealer jars. Always a good find in my book!:hello2: Clearly this was a privy that was made in the 1870's. No pontil bottles but what the heck, we ain't complaining now. Don always says " At least we have a chance." And he is right. We know not to give up even when we reach the bottom of the pit, because we always clear away the "hangers" that might be on the edges of the pits as we climb our way back out. Good thing we did. Don was in the pit doing just that as I stood on top watching what he was scraping away. He was about 2 feet or so below the surface when I pointed something out to him that was hanging on the north wall area. I initially thought it was a bottle base. He plucked it off the wall and knocked the dirt off of it to see an Eagle staring back at him. Wohooooo!!!! Turns out to be an 1851 Eagle Sword Plate. Are you kidding me?:icon_scratch: Did we just find a belt plate from the civil was or what? You guys be the judge but it sure looks like the real deal to us. And with it being 2 feet down and lost in an 1870's privy I would think the percentages go up to it being the real deal. Wow, that's all we could say. :laughing7: Hope some of you Civil War buffs can chime in on this one. We thought the bottles were killer, heck I best be whipping out the metal detector to find some other goodies! Enjoy the pics and please let us know what you think of the plate and the bottles! Thanks for checking it out. As always, be safe out there and Good Luck with all your treasure hunting! jgas

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 173
  • a2.jpg
    a2.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 152
  • a3.jpg
    a3.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 146
  • a4.jpg
    a4.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 159
  • a5.jpg
    a5.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 153
  • a6.jpg
    a6.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 147
  • a8.jpg
    a8.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 145
  • a7.jpg
    a7.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 126
Upvote 22

Ron (CA)

Feb 1, 2005
Mechanicsville VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 , Deus 1 & 2,
WOW-- Congrats on the Sword Plate (Buckle)!! Looks like the silver wreaths fell off. Probably early Civil war production

Looks like it has a nice benchmark on it as well. (numbers on back) Very Cool Hope you find the other part as well!! It would have the matching numbers stamped on it too!

That is a great find!

Last edited:

Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you guys never, ever disappoint. i really look forward to your posts. congrats!!!

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome dig its shame that basket weave pattern flask is broken but that belt plate takes the cake.

Sent from my iPod touch using TreasureNet

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jgas, you guys are rockin again!!! What a great dig! When you mentioned the year of the middle pit i was thinking to myself that 1st pit is going to be a great dig. I think the belt plate is banner worthy and i'm throwing in my vote whether or not anyone else does.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

leviathanrick

Mar 31, 2013
Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That belt plate is as nice as I have ever seen on Treasure Net.

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gas ! Good to see some digs again !! Sweet buckle !!!!! I really like the embossed wax sealer as well .My condolences on the quilted flask . I found one of those chemical bottles with the big C from Cinn up here this summer . As always ,Can't wait for your next one !!!!

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Super belt plate! I say Banner also

bootybandit

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2014
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21,
Tecnetics Omega 8000,
T-Rex 9.5"
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Truly, awesome buckle! Congrats!

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a fantastic bonus find! Nice job.

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful plate! Definitely has my vote as well. Great digz. Big fan of the bottles too. Awesome finds and awesome post!

okerraine

Mar 24, 2009
Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
XP Deus Teknetics T2 Minelab equinox 800 CTX Firty Firty
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats guys. That's what I'm talking about! That's why I always detect the dirt when the other guys throw out. Found some good coins in the pits as well! Good job on the flask!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great dig as always it seems congrats on the glass, but the plate takes the award for the day and the vote goes in for the great looking piece.

Wonder if it was a case of dropping it in the hole for what seemed like a fitting send off, or it slipped off the belt and a blue cursing rant to follow?

OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Hey guys thanks for all the great replies! A follow up to the Sword plate of sorts. Considering most dug plates are in fields and such with no chance of ever finding who it may have been issued to, I figured the pit drop would definitely be associated with the home owner. So I am currently doing a search of the home owner that was there back during the civil war times and soon thereafter when he came home. Hopefully with fingers crossed I can narrow down the search, find the owners name and see if he was on the muster list for the two regiments that deployed from here. If I can find that out then I could look for the descendants and attempt to return it to his family. Now that would be a true treasure find! So here is to a bit of luck finding it in the first place, and a bit of luck with a name to have the provenance. Thanks again for the replies and all the Banner nods! I will keep you updated. jgas

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WOWSERS,what a great hunt! I voted banner for your buckle as well,it has great detail and patina.:thumbsup:

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool of you to try to find the desendents.

davehky

Jan 3, 2007
Mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 garrette pro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Luv that plate!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread