New Best Box Ever

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
Before today, my best box ever had been 57 40%'s. We started opening the only box of halves that I got this week while waiting for Chinese food takeout. As soon as I opened it, the enders began popping out, maybe five or six and then another four when I flipped them over. There was also 2 reverse ender proofs that stuck out because they were in such good shape. I opened one ender and there was another ender that I hadn't seen but then nothing else was in between. Another ender had 2 at the one end and then 3 more inside so after only 5 or 6 rolls we had 10 40%'s and 3 2009 proofs. After we finished our "Four Seasons" and rice I opened the rest of the box and the silver and proofs just kept coming. Four rolls from the end I pulled a dirty 1938 Walker to go along with 2 1964's and ended with a grand total of 3 90%'s, 73 40%'s, and 26 proofs ( 25 2009's and 1 1982). 2 or 3 weeks ago, I had a box that had 5 2009S proofs and thought that was all the 2009 proofs I would ever need but I guess I was wrong. I can't find the USB cord for my camera in the mess around my desk at night and don't want to wake my wife looking for it, I'll try to put a pic up tomorrow.

1 -1965
10-1966
25-1967
24-1968
13-1969

Earlier this week, I had a nickel box that had 7 war nickels and 3 Buffalo's with dates 2-26's, and a 36 that I was real happy with. Nice way to end a slow month.

nov30a.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Glad to hear someone in in our neck of the woods is finding something! my best box ever had 37 40's and 3 90's with 4 enders, that was a while back. Nice job there Minkybodl! HH, Maverick.

Nice finds and totals!
I avoid the Chinese food tho, diner here were busted serving cat lol

Nice find! I'd be right back at that same bank getting the next box. There has to be more from that same collection that got dumped.

Stupid question. I haven't been looking for proofs. Should I? What exactly is a proof? Anything with an S mint mark?

I assume none of the proofs are silver. correct?

Congrats, nice box! Check the reverse of that 38 Walker for the D mintmark. It's a key date.

I've bought one box in my short CRH career and found nothing!! But stories like this inspire me to buy them whenever I can find them. Thanks for sharing.

All the proofs were clad, if they were silver I would have been able to call it a dream box.

Dinero, Proofs are halves with an S mint mark and there are clad and silver proofs with the newer ones. They are sold in proof sets that have each coin for that year and are made using a special process so that you can usually tell they are proofs just by looking at them. I usually keep all of my proofs because I have a half collection book that has a space for the proof for each year and they look nice. I don't know of any real extra value to the clads except in a collection or to a collector. I have never had this many of one year before.

The Walker is just a regular 38 plus it is in pretty rough shape if it were a D.

Found the cord for my camera and went to take a pic and the batteries were dead.

nov30a.jpg 2009proofs.jpg

Nice box, Congrats!

I keep all the clad proofs too. There are just nice coins.

Fantastic box! One of the best on here in a while. Congrats!

Excellent finds!!! At least somebody is finding then in the boxes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back