What's new

New CRH hobby strain on 30+ year marriage!

Half-Hound

Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2010
Messages
72
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
My Nose
The Half-Hound has been barking up the wrong tree. Six weeks and 31 silver halves after starting this CRH hobby my wife has just about had enough! She couldn't care less if I found a 1970D Kennedy half or a 1971D Kennedy half - or if I found the world's first 1975 Kennedy half. They are just coins to her, and she's getting tired of them. She's getting tired of seeing them, hearing them and even thinking about them. But I'm hooked on this now. What can I do?
 
Upvote 0
Smile when you find silver. :icon_thumright:

Maybe get her birthyear proof set or half dollar.
 
Sell some of your silver and buy her something she likes.
 
My meager suggestion would be try to include her. Mr. Apush thought it was a waste of time, until he found his first "silver." Then, he was excited. So much so that I had to go on line here on T-Net to find him a 1959 Franklin (his DOB) because he wanted to find one so badly. (Thanks to a wonderful gentlemen poster I was able to trade).

Now we have a friendly competition every Thursday night. I pick up the boxes, split them between us, and we have a poster board on the fridge by our pool. Every time he finds silver he posts; same for me. We drink a few beers, laugh, and he yells out everytime he finds silver. It is such a blast!!! He is ahead in our game, but the silver gets into my hands by the end of the night. :laughing9:

We have turned it into quality time. Perhaps we are just old, but we enjoy each others company now that our kids are grown and out of the house. Yippee!!!
PS: He is not so much into my metal detecting. But, ya can't have everything.

Apush :read2:
 
Leave her, the silver is way more important :headbang: Just kidding, let her know how much you enjoy the hobby. Help her find a hobby. Just try your best man, all you can do.
 
coincrazed has a good idea, that's how my freind roll hunts, in his car. Similar to having an affair that your woman never knows about. I guess if your always gone roll hunting, she might actually get suspicious and think you really are having an affair. Honesty is the best policy. I would just keep the hobby neat, put your coins away. I leave mine all over our basement counter, my fiance' doesn't care, she thinks it's cool.
 
I've been married since I was 20 years old,and that's well over 30 years. I've always had hobbies,none of which my wife approved of. Once in a while she will get upset with me and my hobbies and I just remind her
in a friendly sort of way, that I can easily trade her in for a newer model, and that can be my new hobby :laughing7:. Of course I would never do that,but it gets them wondering :icon_scratch:.
Before you know it she will start humoring me with a little interest.
HH
Rich
 
How good is the light in your garage? Maybe you can find an out of sight spot, where you can have a desk or table to enjoy your hobby. Garage, basement, spare bedroom...
 
Yeah, Mr. Apush had threatened to trade me in for 2-20s (that was when I was 40). But, guess I am still here at almost 50.

I often have to remind him how lucky he is. And, he is: a woman who works, cleans, but I don't cook. :laughing9:

apush :read2:
 
Sorry to say but its time to start looking for a upgrade.... :) Younger and smarter.



(this is just a joke if you havent caught on to it yet)
 
apush said:
Yeah, Mr. Apush had threatened to trade me in for 2-20s (that was when I was 40). But, guess I am still here at almost 50.

I often have to remind him how lucky he is. And, he is: a woman who works, cleans, but I don't cook. :laughing9:

apush :read2:

:laughing7: That's a good one. We need to get Mr.Apush to post, he sounds like a character. We could have a husband and wife CRHing competition :thumbsup:
HH
Rich
 
Half-Hound said:
The Half-Hound has been barking up the wrong tree. Six weeks and 31 silver halves after starting this CRH hobby my wife has just about had enough! She couldn't care less if I found a 1970D Kennedy half or a 1971D Kennedy half - or if I found the world's first 1975 Kennedy half. They are just coins to her, and she's getting tired of them. She's getting tired of seeing them, hearing them and even thinking about them. But I'm hooked on this now. What can I do?

My advice. Talk with her and find out why she doesn't like it.

Is it the time spent doing it?
Does she feel like she is being replaced by your hobby?
Is it the money she thinks you are spending on it?
Is it the mess you make around the house?
Or is it something else?


It also would be a good idea to figure out why you enjoy it and share that with her.

Do you enjoy the smell of cardboard?
Do you enjoy the way the coins make your fingers grimy after handling enough of them?
Do you enjoy the thrill of the hunt?
Do you enjoy it because you feel richer when you have silver in your possession?
Do you enjoy hoarding stuff?
Do you just like the sound of coins clinking together like money falling out of a slot machine?
Do you like dumping the coins on the carpet and rolling around in them like Scrooge McDuck and the money bin?
Do you think carrying boxes of coins around is good exercise?

Explaining what it is about CRH that you really enjoy and why it is important to you (at least right now...especially if you are prone to short-lived hobbies) will


Once you find out why she doesn't like it and can explain what it is that makes you enjoy it, hopefully you can figure out some type of compromise where you can show that you care about her concerns and are willing to take them into account as well as have a feeling that she is doing the same. Thus allowing you to be able to continue at some level with her blessing.


It may mean you can only do them once she is asleep. Or can only do 1 box a week. Or ???


As has already been said, communications/honesty are the only way to go. Secrets are just going to make things worse.


timbobwey said:
Similar to having an affair that your woman never knows about. I guess if your always gone roll hunting, she might actually get suspicious and think you really are having an affair. Honesty is the best policy. I would just keep the hobby neat, put your coins away. I leave mine all over our basement counter, my fiance' doesn't care, she thinks it's cool.

I can just imagine her hiring a detective only to find out what you are really spending all your time in your car doing... :laughing7:
 
I say leave her and in the divorce settlement get your lawyer to write "all alimony paid to the ex-wife will be paid in halves. Perfect dump situation plus it'll piss her off every time she gets paid. Win-Win for you.
 
Ohhh sounds like you have a tough one. I am married to a latina so I know the feeling. LOL. You have got the bug and that is not easy to squelch. My wife was tollerant for a while and even went on road trips with me (which would be an option for you). She loved to go see places and while we were there we would hit up some banks. It made for some fun times. Eventually she grew tired of that so I would go it alone and she seemed ok with that as long as it was once and a while. She still gives me a hard time but I just shrug it off and make sure I spend some quality time with her if you know what I mean? If she is absolutely intolerant of your hobbie there is a bigger issue that is underlining this one. She may be jelous of your hobbie or think your doing other things or feel neglected. Then again maybe she just hates the fact that your happy doing this. I've seen that before too. One thing I have found is that if the wifey is content in other areas you will be more free to do your thang.

Golden Silver
 
You said she dont care about your hobby ,so whats the problem ? get her a pass to the next coin show and let her see coins worth millions :hello: Dd60
 
dp2013 said:
I say leave her and in the divorce settlement get your lawyer to write "all alimony paid to the ex-wife will be paid in halves. Perfect dump situation plus it'll piss her off every time she gets paid. Win-Win for you.

Wow, this is too good. What a way to dump...
 
And it gives and entirely new angle to dumping on your ex!! :icon_pirat:

Golden Silver
 
I have a similar problem. My old lady could care less that I roll hunt.
DUDE....i thought you were 15 years old :icon_scratch:

Half-Hound, sounds like a real dillemma, however you can point out that this is one of the few hobbies that can actually make money. you also have to take in the fact that, since she doesn't share your love for the hobby, you must find time for her and not neglect your husbandly duties. whenever i want some time to myself i make sure i do a few things on the "honey-do" list, take her out and throw some food down her throat, hustle her to the nearest watering hole and throw a couple drinks in her, then bring her home in time for her favorite show and i'm usually good to go :laughing7:
by that time she could care less what i do. ;D
 
mistergee said:
I have a similar problem. My old lady could care less that I roll hunt.
DUDE....i thought you were 15 years old :icon_scratch:

Half-Hound, sounds like a real dillemma, however you can point out that this is one of the few hobbies that can actually make money. you also have to take in the fact that, since she doesn't share your love for the hobby, you must find time for her and not neglect your husbandly duties. whenever i want some time to myself i make sure i do a few things on the "honey-do" list, take her out and throw some food down her throat, hustle her to the nearest watering hole and throw a couple drinks in her, then bring her home in time for her favorite show and i'm usually good to go :laughing7:
by that time she could care less what i do. ;D

Old lady = mom i suppose...
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom