NC Flake
Greenie
First of all I want to thank everyone for what they have shared here, I’ve lost count of the time (and lost work hours
) I’ve spent here and vicariously hunting though your posts, and reminding me of that kid-like wonderment we get when finding these mundane pieces of ancient life.
These days I don’t get to get our much, basically none at all, for hunting anyway. New home, work in the middle of town, any chance I get to look at bare dirt (no matter the chances of finding anything) I always end up looking at that rock with the odd shape / color. And keep getting asked “why are you looking at the dirt?”
I grew up on a tobacco farm, till I was 13. Then I hated those damn plants. But man, allot of stuff my mom said to me at the time make a heck of a lot more since now than they did back then! Another reason I’ll never part with these rocks. They are a connection to more than just ancients.
What I have below are some of the pieces that survived my teenage years, my older brothers making jewelry… my wife, when I mistakenly thought she could have some interest in this stuff, screamed and dropped (more tossed into the air!
) one of them when I had told her it could possibly have been old enough to have been used to kill a mammoth, mastodon or some other animal that has been extinct for 10,000 years. (acctualy don think I have any Palio, hope Im wrong tho.)
Anyway, here is my tiny collection of field finds, if I’m lucky one day I’ll add to them!
If anyone could provide a ID to the ones held, I’ve done allot of reading and have a decent idea of what I have but these I’m questionable about.
All came from the same farm in central NC near Alamance / Gilford Co.








) I’ve spent here and vicariously hunting though your posts, and reminding me of that kid-like wonderment we get when finding these mundane pieces of ancient life.These days I don’t get to get our much, basically none at all, for hunting anyway. New home, work in the middle of town, any chance I get to look at bare dirt (no matter the chances of finding anything) I always end up looking at that rock with the odd shape / color. And keep getting asked “why are you looking at the dirt?”
I grew up on a tobacco farm, till I was 13. Then I hated those damn plants. But man, allot of stuff my mom said to me at the time make a heck of a lot more since now than they did back then! Another reason I’ll never part with these rocks. They are a connection to more than just ancients.
What I have below are some of the pieces that survived my teenage years, my older brothers making jewelry… my wife, when I mistakenly thought she could have some interest in this stuff, screamed and dropped (more tossed into the air!
) one of them when I had told her it could possibly have been old enough to have been used to kill a mammoth, mastodon or some other animal that has been extinct for 10,000 years. (acctualy don think I have any Palio, hope Im wrong tho.)Anyway, here is my tiny collection of field finds, if I’m lucky one day I’ll add to them!
If anyone could provide a ID to the ones held, I’ve done allot of reading and have a decent idea of what I have but these I’m questionable about.
All came from the same farm in central NC near Alamance / Gilford Co.








Upvote
0









