New hobbyist because of tv show?

bluehunter1973

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2006
Port Huron, Mi.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am all for welcoming new people to Tnet but how many new members will you think we will get? I am wondering how many will join demanding to know where they can go. Should we help? More or less the moral issue on helping those who want to be serious or the future pains in butt who just dont care.

Upvote 0

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looking at the upside, if we get a flood of new metal detectorists it may help the industry if not the economy.
With demand we may see more money going to make a better "Mouse trap", we may possibly benefit from the newer up-grading of MD's helping make more state of the art tech from some of the money going into research. We will win by be able to have easier machines to set up and go deeper as well as find more.
Just think if you could go over and pick up older stuff you had passed up before from your best spots.
I am all for a new fad which will bring in new members. Peace

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Bumpstick said:
Would any one have a link to this show? American Diggers?
I searched the National Geographic web site but cant seem to find it.
I looked for it at Spike TV Whats Up.
www.anacondatreasure.com there you go

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy said:
Bumpstick said:

Keppy that's not "American Diggers"

that is "Diggers"

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
jeff of pa said:
Keppy said:
Bumpstick said:

Keppy that's not "American Diggers"

that is "Diggers"
Sorry about that i thought there was only one diggers.... I guess i will have to check it out better....... A diggers and a american diggers ...... I hope we don't get the ... Canadian diggers that would be to many diggers

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
I just know the Archies are going to use this program against detectorist everywhere because we are thier competion. The clad coin you pick up today will in fact be tomorrows artifact to them in the future. How dumb is that?
It's pretty dumb. It seems they think EVERYTHING in the ground is an archaeological arftifact. Check this out- http://www.change.org/petitions/nat...iccom-stop-airing-the-television-show-diggers somw of the comments are hilarious. There are several sites and blogs and a facebook page against this show already. Here are a few more-
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/02/archaeologist_n_1315867.html
http://www.sexyarchaeology.org/impo...e-on-the-fight-against-televised-looting.html
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Stop-National-Geographic-Diggers-Looting-Show/240273139398170
http://paul-barford.blogspot.com/2012/02/american-digger-saa-letter-to-national.html
http://www.democraticunderground.com/101617445

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spike TV travels around the country uncovering hidden treasure found in the backyards of everyday Americans in “American Digger.” This new unscripted original series follows former professional wrestler turned modern day relic hunter Ric Savage, as he and his team from American Savage target areas such as battlefields and historic sites in the hopes of striking it rich and capitalizing on unearthing and selling bits of American history. The only thing standing in their way are the homeowners themselves, who Savage must convince to allow them to dig up their property using state-of-the-art metal detectors and heavy-duty excavation equipment.

http://www.spike.com/press/shows/american-digger/

Imagine all the small relics getting Turned over and
eventually being buried deep, while
they only pay attention to Big things

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
I got interested in this hobby by watching a tv show about detecting. It was about 5 years ago and the show was about detecting the treasure coast. It was "Best Places to find cash and treasures." I thought it would be neat to try and the rest was history. Yes as a noobie I'm sure I was a pain to some, I probably still am! But we all have to start somewhere and we just need to be patient to anyone who shows an interest...after all, we know what a great hobby this is!!

OP
OP
bluehunter1973

bluehunter1973

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2006
Port Huron, Mi.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cntrydncr1 said:
I got interested in this hobby by watching a tv show about detecting. It was about 5 years ago and the show was about detecting the treasure coast. It was "Best Places to find cash and treasures." I thought it would be neat to try and the rest was history. Yes as a noobie I'm sure I was a pain to some, I probably still am! But we all have to start somewhere and we just need to be patient to anyone who shows an interest...after all, we know what a great hobby this is!!

Your absolutely right about having to start somewhere and a lot of people get started that way. What I have been talking about is the types of people that have been going around stealing the copper piping out of house or aluminum siding from houses. The one contractor guy who would install copper cable for telephone companies then show up a week later and steal it back and sell it for scrap. I am talking about these kinds of people. They find a way to make easy cash no matter what it takes. Those are the kind of people and they have to learn the basics somewhere and why not on this site. Thats what worries me.

CrazySlasher

Jul 6, 2010
SS of MA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac w/Sunray probe and 15' WoTcoil.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just watched two episodes of Diggers. It was alright. The problem is, the value of the items are insanely inflated. People are going to get the wrong idea.

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CrazySlasher said:
I just watched two episodes of Diggers. It was alright. The problem is, the value of the items are insanely inflated. People are going to get the wrong idea.

You sure got that right! I want to know where you can get $5 for a flat toothpaste tube and I don't think those rifle cartridges were .38 specials!! ;D The part that chaffed me was the lame jargon that had to have been created for the show. "Oh, King, look! I have 'roundness'".
"Gee, Goober, I think I have some 'juicy civ!'" Umm, I don't think so. Are there really people in Montana that talk like that?

I'll probably watch another program, but, it is going to have to get a little better and a lot less lame.

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
The "Pickers" show is a joke too.
They rummage in an old guys scrap heap and find an item that is rusty.
Haggle over the item and get it for $5.
Then say it is worth $30.
Oh yea? Prove it.
The abandoned storage place show is a bit better as they actually sell the items.
What is not said is how many places were a bust.
Same with any Detecting show.
Am I the only one who has spent many days getting exercise and digging only can slaw?
I had a pretty good day today for here.
Found 2 dimes, 6 pennys, 2 tokens and a little silver shoe.
All modern. I would rate that a 7 as far as a days hunt.
Once in awhile a real goody comes up.
My best is a thick gold bracelet and a diamond ring.
Left the rest of the corpse there.
Just kidding.

Grey

shvlnflds

Mar 13, 2010
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Freedom III,Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roland58 said:
CrazySlasher said:

You sure got that right! I want to know where you can get $5 for a flat toothpaste tube and I don't think those rifle cartridges were .38 specials!! ;D The part that chaffed me was the lame jargon that had to have been created for the show. "Oh, King, look! I have 'roundness'".
"Gee, Goober, I think I have some 'juicy civ!'" Umm, I don't think so. Are there really people in Montana that talk like that?

I'll probably watch another program, but, it is going to have to get a little better and a lot less lame.
I haven't watched American Diggers,but have seen 2 episodes of Diggers. Like Crazy Slasher said inflated estimates in pricing and people are going to get the wrong ideas with value of items and ripping up the soil;not properly showing how to dig and replace your "plugs". I was wondering what they would find and at the same time I was pretty mad watching the show. I wish they would've at least mentioned about alot of the trash you clean out of the ground. If people watched some of the show I'm sure that some of us will lose the privilege to hunt private properties,because they'll think we are getting rich!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
forget about hunting old Gun Clubs.
all the Brass there, the owner will probably say
at $1.00 a piece, one of these days he'll
get a detector & Dig them up.

How many times have you heard an owner use the sentence
no because "One of these days",
they will Buy a detector & Hunt their own Land :(

Like that will happen.

"one of these days" ranks even lower then
"when I Get around to it"

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diggummup said:
Are any of these shows available to watch online free?

Not unless Nat Geo has the option

Or someone Pirates it to Youtube

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Roland58 said:
CrazySlasher said:

Yes those prices were inflated..... But then they are inflated on the storage wars shows also...

OP
OP
bluehunter1973

bluehunter1973

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2006
Port Huron, Mi.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some people are saying the show is good others say it sucks. I dont want to watch it but I cant ignore laughing at dumb things I might have to watch.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread