nj2.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 175
Upvote 2

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't care how toasted that copper is..... still a great find... !!:icon_thumright: Congrats.... unfortunately probably not enough detail to attribute a variety to it.

smokedaddy

Mar 4, 2008
SE Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Spectrum / Fisher 1266X / Minelab Sovereign Elite/ Garrett AT/Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have not pulled one of those for a while. Nice to see them in any condition. Old stuff there.. Thanks for sharing.

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don of sj was able to positively ID my jersey coppers, don't know if he's still active on TNET. Perhaps you can look him up. He's very knowledgeable of njcoppers. He also belongs to SJMD club

Last edited:
OP
OP
cabinfever

cabinfever

Oct 14, 2009
NH
Detector(s) used
Deus
Thanks, flyadive! I'll look for him - I would love to accurately identify this coin before adding it to my collection.

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you can't find him let me know in a few days.
Naa I'll email him and give him a heads up:)

I have his email address somewhere?

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can't find him let me know in a few days.
Naa I'll email him and give him a heads up:)

I have his email address somewhere?
He will respond to this post soon. He has a study where he tracks where NJ coppers are found as well.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, it is a tough one, I thought it was a 1787 Maris 30-L, but now having my doubts, so I will await confirmation or denial from my expert friends, no response so far, I know I usually do better than they do, I am used to looking at corroded ground founds, where they are used to ones with nice smooth surfaces. :) Hopefully tomorrow I will have a yay or nay on this attribution, but I will also look at some other possibilties.
I see a possible conflict with how the plow appears, that is where I am not sure about it being a M.30 Obverse (plow/horsehead side). The U reverse is also tough call, with what details are showing, the T, U and L reverses are all very similar.....

Don

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd take a slice of that toast any day of the decade. My hands start to shake when I see that color of patina here up North. J'espère que vous trouverez plus nombreux cette année. I hope you find many more this year.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got confirmation from my fellow NJ collectors that it is a 1787 Maris 30-L variety. This is the first 30-L variety in the survey I have been doing, so I was glad to see a new variety in the survey. Out of over 500 ground founds in the survey and about 60% of them being ID'd by variety that is nice to see this one being found and posted. Congratulations and hope more to come in the future.
Attaching the link to coinfacts which shows a Maris 30-L for comparing.

1787 New Jersey Copper - Maris 30-L

Don

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread