What's new

new rock

unclemac

Gold Member
Joined
Oct 12, 2011
Messages
8,025
Reaction score
9,213
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
ok, so here is ANOTHER rock....this one is pretty uninteresting except that it has obvious pecking wear on the tip. Unfortunately it is also broken so I really don't know what to think. Anyone seen wear like this before? The white area at the top is much rougher than the "skin" of the rest of the rock and the orange/brown staining tells me this is not recent wear either since it extends from one surface to the other. Now I am not claiming this as an artifact, just looking for and idea of what caused this.
 

Attachments

  • DSC01625.webp
    DSC01625.webp
    19 KB · Views: 93
  • DSC01622.webp
    DSC01622.webp
    20.2 KB · Views: 103
  • DSC01624.webp
    DSC01624.webp
    21.6 KB · Views: 96
  • DSC01626.webp
    DSC01626.webp
    21.4 KB · Views: 97
Upvote 0
The rock looks natural but it might be wear on the end cause by man.
Here are two hammer stones kinda like yours dug out of a rock shelter. Started with a natural shape and then pecked them to fit their hands. I did find them with lap stones so am pretty sure that is what they are. Hope this helps some. If you do not mind I would like to post another rock I have

100_3948.webp
 
please do
 
Have never had a rock fit my hand so well. Found in 1992...20 years ago and still in the cabinet.What do you think?


100_3951.webp100_3952.webp100_3953.webp100_3954.webp
 
i think uncles piece was some sort of a tool used for pulverizing material
the uses could be many
grinding ash or mussel shell used in manufacturing pottery paste or pottery clay
maybe grinding corn into flour
maybe grinding the ingredients for making pemmican
also could have been used in the making of other tools or objects...(the groove around a hammer or horse tether) or shaping another piece of stone into various objects
the end that is broke off (and missing) probably had wear on it also
we find a lot of those at the site twitko and me hunt but we don't keep them
 
Last edited:
I think a pecking stone or used for grinding. That tip is beat up pretty good. But, the scaring looks new, no patina really?? Weird! Look at pic #2 I think it is, you can see a little dimple, kinda like a finger wore it there! Good day gentlemen !
 
It looks like it has been used as a nutting stone and a hammer stone.
 
Well fingers are never going to wear a fit into a rock. The rock will wear out first. If it is made to fit you will see signs of pecking and polishing. Something took the nose cortex off of yours. No doubt about that and not sure cortex is the right word. River tumble does it often though even if it was done a long time ago.
Mine fits so well I thought it was used in polishing. But what I do not understand is that the skin is all off mine and back on in the cupped area. I thought maybe from polish.
Jury still out but the point is I have kept it 20 years till I get a good answer. : ) Rock or not. So keep posting as we may never know on some of these things.
 
Hammer Stone on the 1st one. I read where they would actually break them in half to use them better.
And Tn that is a very interesting rock you have. I have never seen one like it before, looks kinda red or purple.
Very nice guys
 
''unclemac'' Possible Hammer Stone.
 
''unclemac'' Possible Hammer Stone.

I'll take it. Hammer stone it is. Never heard that they were often broken before...anyone know the source of that?
 
more than likely got broke by a john deere
put it in yer flower bed
(no disrespect intended)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom