9.7 KB · Views: 528
  • SANY0963.JPG
    SANY0963.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 529
  • IMG_7761.JPG
    IMG_7761.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 539
Upvote 0
Wow that's cool. Let us know how it works out.

How much was your cost out of pocket for the project?

jpotter said:
Wow that's cool. Let us know how it works out.

How much was your cost out of pocket for the project?

I have about $30.00 into it. Metal was scrap I had lying around. Bending was done by hammer and a lot of imagination.

I wish I had some skill to do something like that. I really envy persons like yourself that can do these projects.

I have a friend that can just about make anything with a lathe. I can't even cut a piece of wood. (I'm exaggerating).

Cool project.

Good luck with all.

JP

It's looking great Bruce

man you better be superman to use that scoop.that will get real heavy full of sand! good job.

This is a really nice scoop. I like it. The only suggestion I would make would be to have more holes or larger ones for faster sifting of the wet stuff. It looks strong.......... heavy duty foot rest.

This is how the Sunspot started out. Think about going into production starting as a spare time project if it was fun to build.

Thanks everyone for looking and for comments. I trying it out this weekend. It was fun to build and seeing it come together was a great feeling. Thanks Again.

OUTSTANDING JOB .... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:Guzz1

Hi camb1 ,
First of all, great job on the scoop ! I'm sure it will work great.
What type of metal did you use ? Was it aluminium ?
Also what thickness is the metal ?

salty dog said:
Hi camb1 ,

It is 1/16 aluminium alloy and is very strong. I tried it over the weekend and it was stronger than I expected, but I need to drill larger holes for better drainage of wet sand.

snooksion said:
my backhoe is awesome super strong.the only thing i see about yours is the wood handle the hole it goes through will wear groove in the wood and snap right there.heres an idea put a rubber housing ring in that hole so it wont wear in the wood

The hole is about 1/8 inch bigger than handle and does not hit handle so far. I do need to drill larger holes though.

camb1 said:
salty dog said:
Hi camb1 ,

It is 1/16 aluminium alloy and is very strong. I tried it over the weekend and it was stronger than I expected, but I need to drill larger holes for better drainage of wet sand.

Great looking scoop camb1. If you decide to make more, I used to fabricate machinery for the plastics industry before retiring. I used a lot of perforated metals. You can get them in aluminum, steel or stainless steel. Would make fabrication a lot easier for you and can be bought in sheets up to 4 x 10 ft.

Attachments

• ItemDetailPerforatedRoundStaggered9255t941.gif
    ItemDetailPerforatedRoundStaggered9255t941.gif
    26.8 KB · Views: 267
That's great stuff there HalfSpeed, could you post a resource so those of us not as talented camb1 could maybe come up with a DIY scoop. :icon_pirat:

someotherdude said:
That's great stuff there HalfSpeed, could you post a resource so those of us not as talented camb1 could maybe come up with a DIY scoop. :icon_pirat:

Hey someotherdude.... I got a lot of it from www.mcmastercarr.com. You can also google "stainless steel perforated sheet" and get pages of hits. It's a common commodity. It can be bought in as small as 1 x 1 ft sheets. Very easy to work with. Hope this helps......

Here's another link that I just googled.... http://www.rgpgrates.com/perforatedMetals.htm

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back