Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Rep. Jack Kingston Proposes That Poor Students Sweep Floors In Exchange For Lunch

yep..punish children for the shortcomings of the parent.

quote:
Rep. Jack Kingston (R-Ga.) wants kids to learn early in life that there's no such thing as a free lunch. To make sure they absorb that lesson, he's proposing that low-income children do some manual labor in exchange for their subsidized meals.

On Saturday, Kingston, who is vying to be his party's nominee in Georgia's Senate race next year, spoke at a meeting of the Jackson County Republican Party about the federal school lunch program.

Under that program, children from families with incomes at or below 130 percent of the poverty line are eligible for free meals. Students from families with incomes between 130 percent and 185 percent of the poverty level can receive lunches at reduced prices.

But on Saturday, Kingston came out against free lunches, saying that children should have to pay at least a nominal amount or do some work like sweeping cafeteria floors.
unquote:

What a bunch of BS, we shouldn't teach our kids that you have to work for money. How pathetic. We all deserve a free ride. Damn them politicians!!!

Pippin, I didn't click the link, but OMG! Why don't we just give them prison uniforms, too, and put them on the side of the roads! :BangHead:

While free lunches may come with catches, I could think of no better way, to ostracize and make children targets of ridicule and major bullying, and more........
Some ppl are poor, because of disabilities and major sickness and illnesses. Things that are beyond their control. Imho, ppl should be more compassionate, they never know, when they may have to walk in shoes as such!

Life can change in the blink of an eye! Sometimes, one you've never met, can change your life, and not for the better! A car wreck, stroke, debilitating medical diagnosis....... :BangHead:
There's got to be a better way........

Maybe the kids who receive free lunches should just wear a green star on their shirts? Just to make it clear they are second class people.

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

What a moron! In many cases it's the able-bodied parent/s that don't work so they are going to make the kids do it? I remember sweeping floors and cleaning blackboards at a school I went to in rural Wisconsin but it wasn't to pay for lunch. Students from the highest grade, 6th, took turns doing these chores. You know what, I've never thought twice about it until today. 4th, 5th and 6th grade were all in the same room taught by the same teacher. I digress..........kids today have more problems than being poor. Parents are lazy, on drugs, uneducated or just victims of our economy and it should in no way put a heavier burden on the children.

Hey pipp!! I wonder how many times this guy had to sweep the floor for free lunches?? GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

I was also in an orphanage at about age 6. St Joseph orphanage in Green Bay Wisconsin. Many of you won't believe this but the orphanage had fields they grew food in to feed the children. The kids were taken to the field on flatbed trailers to weed and harvest. We would get paid in that peanut-shaped candy. What a treat that was! I was told, don't know this as fact, but some kids were sent to work on local farmers farms. Just comparing times.

Attachments

• candy.jpg
    candy.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 111
packerbacker:

As a parent, I would say there's a huge difference between all the kids working together (a good thing) and a few kids being humiliated.

I wonder if Michigan schools still have a "Potato Day?"

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

Maybe the kids who receive free lunches should just wear a green star on their shirts? Just to make it clear they are second class people.

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

an easier way.......... the school here gives everyone a free meal!!!!!!! that way, the liberals have something different to complain about!!!!:laughing7:

an easier way.......... the school here gives everyone a free meal!!!!!!! that way, the liberals have something different to complain about!!!!:laughing7:

an easier way.......... the school gives everyone a free gun!!!!! that way, the republicans have something different to complain about!!!!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back