What's new

New to artifact hunting

Erving

Hero Member
Joined
Apr 27, 2013
Messages
554
Reaction score
428
Golden Thread
0
Location
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello everyone. I've been metal detecting for over forty years now, and have always been interested in Native American artifacts. Whenever I detect old fields, I've always been looking, but never finding any. Truth be told, I didn't even know what I was looking for. Someone I work with has been collecting for quite a few years, and has found some really nice pieces. Today at work, he told me he had something for me, and gave me some sample flakes, I think you would call them, that he found at a field he stopped at before work to give me an idea of what kind of material to look for. He also found a few broken points that he showed me. I knew about the field he stopped at, as I've detected it and looked for artifacts in the past myself. The field is well known, and has been searched for years and years by people. They had just plowed, and last night it poured out. I decided to walk around the field a bit after work myself, and see if I could find something with the pieces he gave me as kind of a guide. When I got there, I noticed there were foot prints everywhere in the field, so it had been searched pretty good already. I did find some flint and quartz flakes (I think) and a piece of pottery, which probably isn't an artifact. Besides my friend, I want to thank all of you in this forum for giving me the motivation, and inspiration to get more involved in this hobbie. your finds are incredible, and hopefully, some day I'll find something decent to share with you. The first pic is the material samples he gave me. The second is what I picked up. Thanks for the look. 002.webp001.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well welcome to the forum to start with!!

While the pictures don't show much detail I think you may have a couple of artifacts in the group. Thumb scraper type pieces it looks like, around center of black pieces. Enough debitage for sure to warrant more looking there. Thanks for the show!
 
Follow that trail there might be a treasure at the end
 
I brought my finds into work today and had my friend take a look at them. He did pick out one piece that he said was a scraper. He also told me the material wasn't flint, it was chert? If I coul get a comformation on one of the forums experts, I can officially say I found my first Native American artifact. Thanks for any input. 002.webp003.webp001.webp
 
Welcome aboard!! The edge looks worked to me. So, I'd say that you've got yourself an artifact.
 
That would be called a unifaced scraper. Nice find.
Its an artifact alright.
Welcome and best of luck.
 
Thanks for the verification! A simple find to most of you, but being my first, it will always be my favorite no matter what else I might find in the future. :icon_thumleft:
 
Nice scraper. On the Chert/Flint subject it really depends on where you are from. Everyone here calls it Chert but the only difference is the Chert is considered a lower grade from flint. Most black types are flint which is a high grade type. That is what I have read on the subject and all Geologist will refer to it as just flint.
Nice find, rock
 
Nice find and do not hesitate when you first start to post something for ID. Do not pay attention to the old grouches that just go around and post "Rock" on each post and say nothing more. We all started right where you are and it only gets better. It is how you learn and it looks like you are off to a great start and has a good mentor. Look forward to seeing what you find.
Happy Hunting (HH)
TnMtns
 
You are on something. Thanks for joining the forum. Keep searching. Nice scraper!!
 
thanks for the peek,the artifact bug is hard to shake and looks like you got it..
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom