What's new

New to this.... Would you hunt this?

Iamwildman

Tenderfoot
Joined
Feb 17, 2014
Messages
9
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
Ontario Canada
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've just picked up my new Fisher F2 but I can't hunt until the spring. I figure its a good time to research some good hunting grounds. I just happened to find an old map online dated 1877 of my area. It's perfect because it shows all the old roads, who owned each plot of land and also a dot for (I believe) each residence as well as schools and churches.

Anyway most of the land now has been redeveloped and the homes (dots) are long gone. The only reasonable spot where homes were are in the middle of some farmers fields that are now plowed over. Would these be good spots to md or would I be wasting my time? There are a few old roads running through some fields that are grown over, I might check them over as well.

Let me know what you think. Also if you have any tips for researching it would be greatly appreciated. :notworthy:
 
reply

I've just picked up my new Fisher F2 but I can't hunt until the spring. I figure its a good time to research some good hunting grounds. I just happened to find an old map online dated 1877 of my area. It's perfect because it shows all the old roads, who owned each plot of land and also a dot for (I believe) each residence as well as schools and churches.

Anyway most of the land now has been redeveloped and the homes (dots) are long gone. The only reasonable spot where homes were are in the middle of some farmers fields that are now plowed over. Would these be good spots to md or would I be wasting my time? There are a few old roads running through some fields that are grown over, I might check them over as well.

Let me know what you think. Also if you have any tips for researching it would be greatly appreciated. :notworthy:

wild-man: if the black dot represented a singular homestead habitation, there could be coins, of course. However, you'e much better off if you know that the "dot" represented some sort of commercial concern: like a store, or saloon, or stage stop type thing. Rather than a singular family homestead. Anytime multiple people came and went with the express purpose of travel and/or buying/selling, is a much better recipe for coin-losses, than a singular habitation/family.

And the best dots will be ones that hopefully were gone by .... say ....1910-ish or earlier. Once you get much past the turn of the century, you enter into the "throw-away" age. Ie.: tin, chrome, electricity, indoor plumbing, automobiles, tractors, etc.... All of which equate to more junk. But if you've got a spot that ceased all human influence before that time, you'll have much less throw-away-type disposable junk to deal with. And the junk you do get, is more interesting anyhow :)

good luck!
 
Tom is correct. . . could be lots of throw-aways. . . some of which might equate to what we would consider "treasures" in this day & age.

Several years ago, 4 of us hunted an area that was indicated on an 1865 plat map as a "little black square". We found the general
area in a plowed field and started metal detecting when pieces of pottery, glass & brick were observes on the ground. One of my friends found
an 1840's Large Cent and I found an 1865 3-cent piece. . . along with pewter spoons & brass furniture hardware. We had a blast.

It would be worth-while experience in regards to finds and learning your new machine.

Happy hunting!
 
I would rather hunt old home sites in plowed fields than almost anywhere else. You never know what you might find. Keep in mind that the soil has been moved around so objects might be deep or could be right on top of the ground. Go very slow. Coins might be on edge and hard to get a signal on. Dig anything that is not an iron signal.
 
The f2 is great for its price. I ordered the f4 dd coil for it about a year later and made it crazy good. I know it doesn't have ground balance but my soil is good anyway. I still pull the f2 out as much or more than my more expensive machine. If the area is not to trashy than crank the sensitivity up and use no discrimination and you'll clean up if anythings there to be found. The f2 loves the coins and buttons. I found loads of old silver and large cents with it and even before I got the dd coil. Be careful with interference from cell phones,power lines etc. because it can get chatty. I recommend disc all the way down because I know the machine was missing targets with it on but I personally like to know every target (good or bad) that's below me. I also recommend earphones to save battery life and you get a clearer tone on your targets. Sorry for the rant but hope you have some luck with the f2! If you ever want some tips don't hesitate to ask!
P.s. Don't where steel toe shoes/boots out hunting. Haha
 
Last edited:
Thanks guys, great info. I'm going to check it out in the spring. Doing a drive by I notice its all zoned for a subdivision, so hopefully I can get in there before they bring in equipment. My other concern is there is a nuclear plant nearby and power lines are only a few hundred meters away. Will this mess with my MD?
 
Plowed over fields that used to be homesteads are awesome in my opinion. Every time they get plowed, something new is brought close to the surface. Kind of makes them a 'renewable detecting resource'! Found my oldest dime (1910) in a plowed field that used to be an area of migrant worker housing.
 
I agree pretty much with all that's been posted. However, I like to point out on threads like this that the only way to know if an area is worth detecting is to get out there and do it. Sometimes what seems like a good spot won't give up much and other times a spot that doesn't look promising will have several good targets. And leave your detector on walking to and from the area as sometimes good targets are found on the way back to your vehicle.
luvsdux
 
Thanks guys, great info. I'm going to check it out in the spring. Doing a drive by I notice its all zoned for a subdivision, so hopefully I can get in there before they bring in equipment. My other concern is there is a nuclear plant nearby and power lines are only a few hundred meters away. Will this mess with my MD?

I remember reading a thread a while back that radio shack carries a EMI shielding device you can clip on your detector shaft to stop the electrical interference, get the larger one so it fits on the shaft, it was $7-$10 range.
 
plowed fields where 1800s homes once stood are a favorite hunting spot of mine...no brush, roots, or weeds to get in the way and no worries about replacing the plug...just kick the dirt back in the hole.
Only downside is the possibility of a plow marring the goods. This sterling thimble came out of a plowed field...my shovel got nowhere near it, i promise :angel9:

DSCN4719.webp
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom