New to Tnet,looking for advice.

Metfan

Greenie
Oct 8, 2009
Good day everyone.I'm new to TreasureNet,just registered today.First let me apologize for not quite knowing where to ask a question.I have been reading about everyones finds for months and I'm truly amazed by the various treasures that you guys have dug up.I'm tired of just reading about them,I want to start finding them for myself.I am going to purchase my first detector in the next week or two and would like to know your opinions on what would be a good detector for a beginner,as myself.At this time I'm not looking to spend more than $500.00.I have heard that the Ace 250 is a good detector for beginners,but thought I would pose the question to those who have been there done that.Thanks to you all for posting all your great finds and getting me interested in a new exciting hobby.

Good luck & Happy Hunting!

ashleysflyr

Jan 2, 2008
Missouri
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S MXT (and man is she hot!)
I wish that I had started with a white's MXT, but I had a Bounty Hunter 505. Not a bad machine, but I agree with Rando...go for something nicer...ace 250 is a wonderful machine (especially for beginners) but, if you get hooked like I did, you will outgrow the ace 250 quickly. On the other hand, there are people that make amazing finds consistanly with the ace 250, and use nothing else. I call them prodigies...I can admit, I need a better machine to find the finds I find...that's a lot of "finds"! White's makes a great product and they stand behind it...you won't be dissapointed!

~Tom

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have done great with the ace 250 heck made the banner even! Great beginner machine and good for old pros too. Don't forget all the extra coils and a pinpointer plus a high quality digger that cost money too. with the ace you can be fully outfitted for under $500.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Ace 250 is good for starters as long as you don't plan on using it at the beach in wet sand.

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
X-Star.jpg

Attachments

• X-Star.jpg
    X-Star.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 384

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
If your gonna go cheap get a 250 hands down.

If your gonna spend more. Go to e-bay and pick up a m6 or mxt or xlt used but not abused. The 250 chatters to much for me. Pinpointing is not good. And it likes to give ghost signals when your hunting around hot rock and iron. The ace is no good for woods hunting. Lawns it is pretty darn good though.

Don't get me wrong. The ace will hunt the woods. I just don't like the performance. My dfx makes the ace look like a joke. Good little unit for the money though. It will pull up old stuff if your in the right spot.

HH Jer

nova

Jan 10, 2009
Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT //Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My advice go for something cheap $100.00 or less. Learn the tones then up grade. This way your not out much if the hobby don't work out. If it does then you still have plenty of $ left over for a better machine and you will have knowledge on tones and etc..........

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want an ID machine, and the soil in your area is not heavily mineralized, I suggest the Tesoro DeLeon. It is under $500, comes with a Lifetime Warranty, has an ID screen, and is not a kid's toy.

A Tesoro Cibola is another option, but it has no ID screen--so if you will be a beep/dig guy rather than coinshooting parks, that is a great machine--and it costs in the neighborhood of $325.

Oh, and Welcome to the forum! :hello:

Regards,

Buckles

Hutch911

May 19, 2008
Linden, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX5000, Whites MXT, Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well from what I have heard the 250 is a great starter detector. I myself saved up and waited till I could get a whites MXT the detector I really wanted. it's a hard call if you think there is a chance you might not like detecting then I would say go with the 250 if you know you are really going to stick to it. I say eather save up a bit more for the one you really like (new) or look for a good used one. People always are trying different detectors and I have seen some great deals out there. over all YOU have to use it be happy with what you get.

Good luck and happy digging!

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whites Prism series. I have a Prism IV. Simple, easy to operate, and inexpensive. Around 325-375. LCD readout, with thumb operated discrimination.

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started this whole madness with my MXT It's a great machine. The finds from the MXT paid for my Ace 250. I got the ace 250 for a back up and for friends to use . I now use the ace 95 % of the time in the parks. It is a coin magnet.

OP
OP
Metfan

Metfan

Greenie
Oct 8, 2009
Thanks for all your replies.I was wondering if there is anybody in the central N.Y. area that would be interested in going on a hunt sometime.I live in Cortland N.Y.,& honestly I've never seen or met anyone here that metal detects.I hope that means there is alot of untapped ground......How is the Ace 250 at finding gold & relics.

Thanks,Mark

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Used a MXT is about 500 bucks. What kind of gold do you refer to? Rings or Nuggets? The MXT Has a prospecting program.

OP
OP
Metfan

Metfan

Greenie
Oct 8, 2009
extractor said:
Used a MXT is about 500 bucks. What kind of gold do you refer to? Rings or Nuggets? The MXT Has a prospecting program.

Thanks Extractor.I was refering to rings or necklaces.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I were just starting and looking for an inexpensive machine, I think I would be tempted to try the Teknetics Delta. Under $300 from online retailers.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
buy one that feels comfortable to you, to swing and understand.
get one that has a good warranty and resale value (just in case)
if you're looking for certain things, study the different frequencies that react with different metals and buy accordingly

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metfan,

Welcome to TN and to the "Addition". Asking what would be a good first detector, is like asking what is better a Ford or a Chevy. Your going to get at least a dozen different answers.

What kind of detecting do you want to do, detectors are like golf clubs, different detectors for different types of hunting. Buy a detector for the primary kind of detecting you want to do to start off.

Higher end detectors will hold their value longer, then lower end when it comes time to trade up or in. I am in the process of purchasing my 8th detector in 3 years, but I enjoy playing with them. I don't have 8 now, I am down to 5, soon to be 6. I buy good use detectors and when I sell them I get 80-90% of my purchase price back, and that does not include the value of the finds I found with them...... My advice is buy a good used detector for the type of hunting you want to do...

Good luck and good hunting.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rando said:
I'm curious about that one. Are they made by Fisher?

Teknetics, Fisher, and Bounty Hunter all are owned by First Texas.

OP
OP
Metfan

Metfan

Greenie
Oct 8, 2009
relic lover said:
I have done great with the ace 250 heck made the banner even! Great beginner machine and good for old pros too. Don't forget all the extra coils and a pinpointer plus a high quality digger that cost money too. with the ace you can be fully outfitted for under $500.
How is your Ace 250 at finding gold jewlery

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metfan said:
relic lover said:
How is your Ace 250 at finding gold jewlery
Well I have never found any I have never hunted a beach or park I only hunt old homesteads/old cellar holes that have been abandoned for 100 years at least. These places take research to find there are no pulltabs or clad to be found. I only worry about canceling out iron and dig all nonferrous targets. Now you see why everyone wants to know how/where you intend to use your new unit it makes a big difference. I am so consumed with finding the next oldest coin or relic I never think what motivates other types of hunters. I will tell you I have done tons of research and if & when I upgrade I am getting a Minelab X Terra 705 check it out on Kellyco you can use it anywhere for all types of hunting. But I can tell you are leaning towards the ace people tell me gold rings come up as pulltabs on the ace as with most detectors that don't have million notch discrimination.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions