dgallaway

May 11, 2023

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You would be wasting your money on the Hazlewolke detector in the link you posted, (link violated our rules). It is a Chinese company making cheap detectors.

We have multiple supporting vendors and members here who can help you decide what is best for you, don't but buy a cheap Chinese detector, you will either be discouraged or will want to buy a real detector quickly and there is no resale value.

A good beginner detector will cost you about $250 -$300 min new, about $200 used.

You can check our supporting vendor section and used detector forums below it.

Barts Bigboy Hobbies is one of our supporting vendors.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been wanting to start detecting for a while...picking out a decent detector that I can afford...
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forum: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country)...
Whatever you finally decide on - please consider buying one from one of
tn_02.gif
's Supporting Vendors.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Don't waste your money as stated by others. Buy from a vendor on the site, or one that is in a physical location.
These Chinese off brands will disappoint for sure.
Now the question begs in the glowing reviews-how does a person play a detector? :laughing7:

Screen Shot 2023-05-12 at 8.13.35 AM.png

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Welcome to the forums! I started out using Bart at bigboyshobbies. I am extremely happy with my purchase and the service. I started with a Nokta Simplex+ and am getting along well. You could start with that, or a comparable machine from another maker. I wouldn’t buy unsupported on-line machines. You may get stuck, if there is a warranty issue. Good luck 🍀

Silver Saver

Mar 15, 2017
Center of North America
Detector(s) used
Etrac- Sunray x5, x8, x12. Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed with others here, you're better off getting a quality beginner detector. It will function well, won't have a need to buy something better right away, and hold resale value better. Nokta simplex and Minelab Vanquish are quality beginner detectors. With patience you could find a good deal on something used.

Welcome to the forum! It's an enjoyable hobby to get into. Lots of good people and info on this site.

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the forum. As others stated I would pick a Nokta Simplex or a Minelab Vanquish series. But I would like to reccomend 1 more detector, check out the new Minelab X-Terra Pro metal detector.

djackson7348

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
North Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the group from North Carolina.

If you buy a toy, you will get a toy and kids get tired of toys quickly. You don't need to spend a ton of money but you do need to buy quality. Nothing more discouraging to a beginner with a toy machine than finding nothing but surface junk while those around them are digging keepers.

Best of luck to both of you.

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Dr. Otek MT-XR, Ace Apex, Xterra Pro, Nokta Legend, Nokta Makro Impact, Manticore, XP ORX, XP Deus 2 WS6 Master
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hate to go against the grain on these forums. These folks know their stuff and I would agree with the opinion to buy an Xterra Pro or Nokta Legend. Both are great machines. With that said, I bought a Dr. Otek MT-XR as my first machine. While not as good as an Xterra or Legend, I thought it was a great first machine to learn detecting at $119. I found lots of modern coins, toys, and more modern relics with it.

(Link removed for rule violation)

Last edited by a moderator:

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome! As mentioned, there's not a lot of value in those Chinese detectors. Most don't discriminate well or have any US service centers. I'm a supporting vendor and would be happy to help you pick the right detector for your needs and budget.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome !
Jon from s/e Michigan 8-) :cat: :occasion14: :headbang:

scruggs

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2008
Northern Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to Treasure Net! My first detector was a Freedom Ace 150 from Garrett. I believe I paid $140.00 for it in 1984 and found 125 gold rings the first year with it. Good luck to you!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread