Steve in PA
Gold Member
- Joined
- Jul 5, 2010
- Messages
- 9,667
- Reaction score
- 14,518
- Golden Thread
- 4
- Location
- Pittsburgh, PA
- 🥇 Banner finds
- 4
- Detector(s) used
- Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
- Primary Interest:
- All Treasure Hunting
Several friends have been encouraging me to post on this forum for a while now, so what better time than after finding something that has eluded me for a long time. A draped bust US silver coin! To top it off it is also 1700's vintage
I have found 44 Spanish silver pieces and loads of large cents and half cents over the last 20 years, but never a bust silver coin of any kind. Although the date is worn off on this one, I can identify it as a 1797 dime by the reverse and the number of stars. Of course I wish it was in better shape, but it is what it is, and I'm happy to have found it!!
I also dug a King George III, 12 buttons (including a CW era eagle button), a thimble, some drawer pulls, a parasol part, some type of pin, a couple musket balls, and pewter spoon bowls along with the usual trash. All in all it was a fun day of digging.
I need to learn how to separate pictures and text on this forum
I also dug a King George III, 12 buttons (including a CW era eagle button), a thimble, some drawer pulls, a parasol part, some type of pin, a couple musket balls, and pewter spoon bowls along with the usual trash. All in all it was a fun day of digging.
I need to learn how to separate pictures and text on this forum

Attachments
Upvote
0
Yes it is a 1797 JR-1 variety, known for the die break on the Obverse side in date area that results in the date being worn off first just like on the one variety of Standing Liberty Quarters. Great find for sure!!
There are some great people on this site. Make yourself at home here and post those Colonial digs from the frontier of PA.
PA is loaded with these types of finds, but you just have to play hard to get them.


I 'd say banner for sure, I'll put in my vote !!










