Newbie here...needs help and suggestions

Broevol

Tenderfoot
Apr 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After receiving my new fisher F2 in the mail today, I quickly unpacked it, attached the 8" coil and started to hunt. I live on an old 3 acre farm that was build in 1860, so I was expecting to find some real goodies my first time out. After 3 hours of hunting, I have a pile full of junk: scrap iron, parts off combines, tractors, license plates, bridal bits...the list goes on...and not one single coin.... So the question is....either I have no idea what I'm doing or this farm has already been picked over. I spent most of my hunting using the nickel and up settings....but after getting frustrated I moved to dime and quarter only....and I was still digging up junk. I did notice not a single one of my hits was shallow, everyone registering full bars of depth, and everything i dug up was deep...6 plus inches. Will coins be this deep as well? Do I need the 11" coil? Should I switch to the 4" because I have a lot of trash? thanks,
Darin

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to treasurenet and to the world of metal detecting.....

Guess what, you got your first lesson today and it was..............You don't always find the good stuff.

When you see people posting nice finds here you only get to see the good stuff they found, you dont see all the trash dug..... Your not always going to find good stuff, right now you should just concentrate on learning your detector and not on the fact "I didnt find any old silver"...... It takes time to learn this hobby...

Good luck and good hunting....

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your detector would have found coins if the coil went over them. Your coil is deepest in the center so over lap your sweeps by 50%. You also must think maybe not many coins were lost there. Search near the house and garden. Changing the detector to dimes and quarters only disc out pennies and all below. Order Garrett's book, Successful Coin Hunting.

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Annapolis Junction, Maryland
Primary Interest:
Other
I guess my suggestion here would be.. Never trust what a machines tells you.. often "things" can better be spotters with your eyes.. here is what I'm saying.. trust in your own judgements.. and trust in your gut feeling.. you may have to dig deeper.. or find a new location.. nothing comes easy.. and never expect to find anything of great value right off the bat.. lastly.. when your mind set to find coins or gold etc.. best open your mind to include other things and new ideas.. cause I'm sure going to find things you never thought possible.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to treasurenet and to the world of metal detecting.....

Guess what, you got your first lesson today and it was..............You don't always find the good stuff.

When you see people posting nice finds here you only get to see the good stuff they found, you dont see all the trash dug..... Your not always going to find good stuff, right now you should just concentrate on learning your detector and not on the fact "I didnt find any old silver"...... It takes time to learn this hobby...

Good luck and good hunting....

Great post!!

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes you have to clear out the trash to get below to the good signals. You also need to realize that there will be fewer coins at a home site than at a park or school. The small coil will separate the trash better, but you will lose some depth. It also will only cover a small footprint with each swing.

OP
OP
B

Broevol

Tenderfoot
Apr 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very helpful "Metal Detecting Stuff"...thank you!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread