Newbie question

DustyElmer

Greenie
May 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, this is my first post, but I've been lurking the forum for some time, and I love seeing all the finds. I hope I'm asking in the right forum section...

If you had, say, $500-$600 to spend on a metal detector, what would you get? I'm looking at the MineLab X-terra 505, but I know nothing at all about detectors. I'm interested in looking for relics, coins, and gold/silver.

Any advice would be much appreciated! thanks!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Minelab 505 is a good choice, so is the Tesoro Vaquero.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Checkout the Whites M-6,SIMPLE machine,HIGHLY effective,a real sleeper.

GOD Bless

Chris

Killer01

May 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recommend the Xterra 705 it is a little out of your budget but it's worth it. It has a beach mode so u can hunt the worst soils in the world and get good signals it gets good depth and it has automatic ground balance and noise canceling. I found lots of nice gold pieces with this machine and with a switch of a coil u have a gold prospecting machine or a relic machine. Overall it's a good investment and u won't regret it

topdogintampa

Apr 19, 2014
Tampa Bay
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Teknetics Gamma 6000, Treasure Com TC3X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I recommend the Xterra 705 it is a little out of your budget but it's worth it. It has a beach mode so u can hunt the worst soils in the world and get good signals it gets good depth and it has automatic ground balance and noise canceling. I found lots of nice gold pieces with this machine and with a switch of a coil u have a gold prospecting machine or a relic machine. Overall it's a good investment and u won't regret it

I'm pretty sure the person was asking what was "in the $500-600" budget so pumping a unit outside that doesn't help much but thanks for your input. I can recommend my $10,000 set up too but.....

OP
OP
D

DustyElmer

Greenie
May 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all, it'll be a couple months before I'm ready to order but I wanted to get my ducks in a row. I'll look into these other suggestions! Thanks again!

-Dusty

OP
OP
D

DustyElmer

Greenie
May 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would you recommend looking into a used detector on Kelly Co? Seems like I might get a better deal that way, but again, I really know nothing about detectors.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would you recommend looking into a used detector on Kelly Co? Seems like I might get a better deal that way, but again, I really know nothing about detectors.

With the awesome package deals that Kellyco offers, you could be into a brand new unit with accessories for a touch over $600.00, with free shipping. I got my AT Pro there, arrived in two days and I absolutely love it! Not trying to push the ATP, but it is in your price range and a very great machine for the price, and does everything you said you want to do. Yes, there are a LOT more machines out there with higher capabilities, but I was just starting out, as you are and so far I definitely have not regretted it. They have comparisons of every machine in that price range, along with customer feedback on each one. Good luck..keep us posted...ddf

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want.to buy used, compare prices and look at the Treasurenet Classifieds forum. The forum will help you determine a fair price for a used machine.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I use a Garrett AT Pro... a little more money than you want to spend, but a good machine for the money. Don't forget the pin pointer.

Just my opinion. GL&HH.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions