What's new

Newbie to Artifact Collecting

crissywelch

Tenderfoot
Joined
Aug 10, 2013
Messages
5
Reaction score
8
Golden Thread
0
I have a few collections acquired mostly in Central Missouri. Not sure how to tell if any are valuable or not. Any suggestions or information would be more than appreciated.
(These are from the Sedalia area)
Sent from my SPH-M840 using Tapatalk 2
 

Attachments

  • uploadfromtaptalk1376151678519.webp
    uploadfromtaptalk1376151678519.webp
    79.3 KB · Views: 120
  • uploadfromtaptalk1376151699805.webp
    uploadfromtaptalk1376151699805.webp
    105.7 KB · Views: 103
  • uploadfromtaptalk1376151727604.webp
    uploadfromtaptalk1376151727604.webp
    104.2 KB · Views: 108
  • uploadfromtaptalk1376151755657.webp
    uploadfromtaptalk1376151755657.webp
    61.8 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Upvote 0
These are from the Osceola, Mo area. Not sure if they are collectible or not? More photos to follow:uploadfromtaptalk1376152044148.webp
Sent from my SPH-M840 using Tapatalk 2
 
Last edited:
More Osceola area finds.
 

Attachments

  • ForumRunner_20130810_115013.webp
    ForumRunner_20130810_115013.webp
    56.7 KB · Views: 113
  • ForumRunner_20130810_115041.webp
    ForumRunner_20130810_115041.webp
    68.2 KB · Views: 105
  • ForumRunner_20130810_115109.webp
    ForumRunner_20130810_115109.webp
    70.7 KB · Views: 109
Welcome to this forum, Chrissy. In the pic of the first four I like the blade best, it's very nice. The bottom right darker one is made of real nice material and it has a bifurcated base, too bad about the tip but that's honest ancient loss! The top left piece is symmetrical and probably a bit thick in the middle cause it was reknapped down to it's present size.....it's for heavy duty work. I don't know about the one on the top right, don't know your area, but it's the funkiest in the bunch LOL . boom!
BTW the last pics are nothing!:icon_sunny:
 
Last edited:
Welcome to t-net Crissy.
 
Nice artifacts Chrissy...welcome to the forum.
 
Welcome to the forum. The value is in the eyes of the beholder on those pieces. If I was out hunting them I would be happy to find them. Thanks for the show, rock
 
welcome to tnet
i like the 4 pieces in your 1rst post......they are very nice

larso1951
 
Thanks everyone, looking forward to future posts. And thank you tomclark for sharing your thoughts & expertise, very much appreciated.
 
Hi crissy! I have to disagree with tomclark on your last pics...the middle one is something but not sure exactly what...it might be a dart point...I have found tons of unifacial points in my creek and they are from the middle archaic to early woodland time period...have you found any pottery shards in your searching?
 
The very definition of a projectile point involves it being a bifacial artifact.
I have a few wafer thin flake points that are almost unifaced but they are true arrowheads and still show some work on both faces.
There's no way you have found tons of unifaced archaic and woodland projectile points..I'm sorry...but its pretty safe to say that none of those you found are actually points.
Those last pieces are triangle shaped reduction flakes at best.
Tom gave her very accurate,experienced and well worded info.
 
Last edited:
Here is an example of a archaic atlatl dart.

ForumRunner_20130811_212514.webp
 
The very definition of a projectile point involves it being a bifacial artifact.
I have a few wafer thin flake points that are almost unifaced but they are true arrowheads and still show some work on both faces.
There's no way you have found tons of unifaced archaic and woodland projectile points..I'm sorry...but its pretty safe to say that none of those you found are actually points.
Those last pieces are triangle shaped reduction flakes at best.
Tom gave her very accurate,experienced and well worded info.

GatorBoy, you need to go look at these points The Woodland Period in the North Carolina Piedmont
 
I could post my North Carolina frames for you.
Here is one.

ForumRunner_20130811_215626.webp

Don't get me wrong I appreciate your enthusiasm.
This is a great book if you ever get a chance to pick one up.

ForumRunner_20130811_215845.webp

By the way.. I wouldn't give that link to to many folks as a reference for accurate information.
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom