Newly Found Civil War Camps?

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was wondering if anybody in States other than VA are finding any new, not hunted out, CW camps? Don't need to know your location, just need to know that somebody is still finding new locations to hunt (pics of what you're finding wouldn't hurt either). Seems like this is a finite resource and I'm having a devil of time locating any new camps in central TN, AL, or MS.

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
They are out there. A friend and I are finding them. Well, we have found one and there are gonna be some more fairly close to this one, within 10-12 miles. That seems like a long way off from this camp but when we are gaving to drive 73 miles one way, 10-12 miles aint no distance. We have found close to a 100 buttons, better than 200 bullets and a musicians sword. Here is a picture of the sword...d2

Attachments

• DSC01684.JPG
    DSC01684.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 1,690

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
We may find a small camp every now and then in Kentucky. I think picket posts have some potential as virgin sites.

Sometimes the roads, bridges and fords of today are not in the exact location they were then. ;)

Burt

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is so true, about the roads, bridges etc. Read them OR's and get you some old maps and do a little figuring. When I found that sword I about fainted. My diggin' partner did too...d2

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Samuel Watson's Old Place
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
Yep! They are out there.
I have found several in my area, but it has taken ALOT of research to find them.
A couple of weeks ago I obtained some really good info on camps and action in my area. It told various landmarks and told where the troops camped.
Today I talked to an old guy that knew one of the landmarks I was looking for. He told me exactly where the landmark was. Tonight I looked at the maps and found the location of the landmark and there it was just as plain as day. A CSA company camped here. A mile from it another CSA company camped. I already knew where this last camp was, but it wasn't until tonight that I knew who's company camped there and it all came together like it was told in the newly obtained information. There are going to be three more camps in this area within a few miles from each other. The only thing is the information on these three other camps is very vague. Hopefully I will find some more clues that will lead me right to them.

I know how much research it has taken me to gather the info to find the camps of battle sites in my area. I couldn't even imagine going to another state and trying to find sites like this without much direction. Only one camp so far has been mentioned in the OR's and it turned out being in another location than what was described there. So how does a person go about finding camp sites in another state without any info from the OR's?

brnn53

Mar 31, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Tejon, T2 LTD, F75, & Nautilus DMC II B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have been researching for a year the camp site of the 15th Corps. I found it and just recently got permission to hunt the area. Unfortunately soybeans are planted there and I will have to wait until this Winter to do an extensive search. Last week I was able to hunt a small area in a pasture near that site and dug up 20 dropped minies. The ground was so hard that I bent my shovel and had to use a hammer and screw driver to dig 'em up. I think this pasture has been such since the CW. I see evidence of a road through it with wagon track ruts visible. The sites are out there. You have to have determination and patience in your search.
Mike

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
d2 - I know this isn't your post...

but I woulda' crapped myself if I found that sword...

holy moly! Nice job on finding the new hunting grounds...

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Cane. I get new leads for camps from old newspapers. I have found some Revolutionary War sites and CW sites that way. You have to find a library with paper archives that date as far back as you can go and plan on spending a couple of days reading. I found articles about camps, training sites and the like in some old papers that mention specific locations. Get the old maps to orient yourself and compare to the new. Hate to say it but you know as well as I do, it is work but it is worth it!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
I know where camp cooper is in florida but I'm not telling where its at ---- the state will close it to hunting if they figger out where it is exactly. -- just like they did to camp milton ---- a favorite hot spot for local MDers -- camp milton (named after the then governor of florida) was the largest confederate camp site in fairly steady use in florida during the war plus a couple small battles were fought there too

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wildrider said:
BuckleBoy said:
wildrider said:
I think picket posts have some potential as virgin sites.

Burt

Really??? ;)

The camps are still out there--they are getting scarce though. Some food for thought:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,102059.msg743855.html#msg743855

Regards,

Buckleboy

Don't get me started.
I'm still upset that you didn't bring me a Pez from Austria. :-X

Sorry man. I brought my parents and diggin buddies gifts. Forgot all about the Pez--it was hectic those last few days.

W

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread