What's new

Newly found "Turn of the century circa 1900" picnic grove is LOADED!!!

Rich in Central PA

Hero Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
May 28, 2003
Messages
725
Reaction score
418
Golden Thread
0
Location
Shamokin Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello friends and fellow treasurehunters. Well, I've been pretty busy the last 2 weeks pounding this old picnic grove in the woods.

My treasure huntin' buddy Nate, aka "junkhunter" on here, told me that his neighbor told him about this picnic grove that used to exist when he was very young, which would put the grove around the 1940's. My first thoughts, not too old, but hey, sounds like the possibility of silver to me.

Anyways, Junkhunter and I started detecting the area about 2 weeks ago where the "forgotton" picnic gove was suppose to be located. With only 2 meager Indianhead cents, a few Wheat cents, 2 Buffalos, and a V-nickel between us and NO SILVER, I suspected something wasn't right, especially after 2 days hunting, and not much to show for.


The 3rd day, I started hitting clamshells, a true tell-tale sign of a picnic grove. I marked the spot where I made my first find, and made subsequent markers on the trees as to get an idea how far the outskirts of the grove extended. I've beeen hitting this grove the last 5 days. Here is what I got so far...............



The silvers>>>>>an eye popping 1907 Barber Half, Two 1913 Barber Dimes, 1923 & 1925 Mercury Dimes, and a 1952 Roosevelt Dime.
Picnic Grove#1.webpPicnic Grove#2.webp
Two Liberty Head V-Nickels: 1904 and a NO-Date
Three Buffalo Nickels: 1916, 1923, 1928
Four Jefferson Nickels: 1944-P silver War Nickel, 1939, 1940, 1954-D
Three Indianhead Cents: 1886, 1898, 1907
35 Wheaties from 1911 to 1945 (no key dates)
Picnic Grove#3.webpPicnic Grove#4.webpPicnic Grove#7.webp
Silver belt buckle, a silver ring, cross-flags military insigna, good for 5 cents in trade token, 3 pins.
Picnic Grove#5.webpPicnic Grove#6.webp
You would never know it was a picnic grove, here are a couple pics. Thanks to junkhunter for taking me along. I owe ya one. Thanks all for looking, it is "one heck of a grove".

Camp#1.webp Camp#5.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 24
nice find and hard work paid off happy hunting
 
I love the half! If theres a half, there has to be quarter(s). Nice pieces of turn of the century history!
 
Sweet finds. It pays to keep r ears open. Thats a place we all wood like to find.. HH
 
Wow, great finds! Now that's the kind of place I'd like to find near me.
 
Very nice!!

Congrats Rich!

Dave
 
I'm jealous. Take care with that site and treasure it, there aren't many left.
 
Rich, those are some terrific finds! I always wondered about all the places that my Mom's side of the family had picnics at, I know many of the groves went by the wayward side, I just was too young to remember the locations of most of them, but seems like we went to a different one each August in either Berks, Lebanon or Lancaster Counties. I probably lost a few Mercs or two at them. :)

Love the Snake Buckle also, reminds me of a term Snake in the Grass, so maybe the guy who lost it was............................

Don
 
wow, these are places we all dream about! love the silver buckle
 
Very nice finds,still cant believe that half.And the pocket spills.4.webp7.webp9.webp
 
Nice Finds! That seems like a Great Place to hunt! I would keep that place on the back burner. Looks like alot of fun.

Congrats on the Keepers!
MJ
 
Great quality and variety, congrats! I have to wonder if there is a bottle dump around there? Possible outhouses? HH, Mike
 
Rich,

Wow! Great finds!

I have a similar story. My folks live is south-central PA. An older neighbor said there used to be a picnic area in the woods near them "before his time". I've only hunted it three times. I've dug many IH, V nickles, and bits of jewlery but NO silver (yet). Hope I can have some luck like yours.

DCMatt
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom