What's new

Newly found "Turn of the century circa 1900" picnic grove is LOADED!!!

Rich in Central PA

Hero Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
May 28, 2003
Messages
725
Reaction score
418
Golden Thread
0
Location
Shamokin Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello friends and fellow treasurehunters. Well, I've been pretty busy the last 2 weeks pounding this old picnic grove in the woods.

My treasure huntin' buddy Nate, aka "junkhunter" on here, told me that his neighbor told him about this picnic grove that used to exist when he was very young, which would put the grove around the 1940's. My first thoughts, not too old, but hey, sounds like the possibility of silver to me.

Anyways, Junkhunter and I started detecting the area about 2 weeks ago where the "forgotton" picnic gove was suppose to be located. With only 2 meager Indianhead cents, a few Wheat cents, 2 Buffalos, and a V-nickel between us and NO SILVER, I suspected something wasn't right, especially after 2 days hunting, and not much to show for.


The 3rd day, I started hitting clamshells, a true tell-tale sign of a picnic grove. I marked the spot where I made my first find, and made subsequent markers on the trees as to get an idea how far the outskirts of the grove extended. I've beeen hitting this grove the last 5 days. Here is what I got so far...............



The silvers>>>>>an eye popping 1907 Barber Half, Two 1913 Barber Dimes, 1923 & 1925 Mercury Dimes, and a 1952 Roosevelt Dime.
Picnic Grove#1.webpPicnic Grove#2.webp
Two Liberty Head V-Nickels: 1904 and a NO-Date
Three Buffalo Nickels: 1916, 1923, 1928
Four Jefferson Nickels: 1944-P silver War Nickel, 1939, 1940, 1954-D
Three Indianhead Cents: 1886, 1898, 1907
35 Wheaties from 1911 to 1945 (no key dates)
Picnic Grove#3.webpPicnic Grove#4.webpPicnic Grove#7.webp
Silver belt buckle, a silver ring, cross-flags military insigna, good for 5 cents in trade token, 3 pins.
Picnic Grove#5.webpPicnic Grove#6.webp
You would never know it was a picnic grove, here are a couple pics. Thanks to junkhunter for taking me along. I owe ya one. Thanks all for looking, it is "one heck of a grove".

Camp#1.webp Camp#5.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 24
NICE! Looks like a dream of a spot!

The collar disk with the flags is Army Signal Corps WW1 era it looks like.
 
NICE! Looks like a dream of a spot!

The collar disk with the flags is Army Signal Corps WW1 era it looks like.

Ken, I was in the "Signal Corps" in the US Army from 1971 to 1978. How ironic is that?
 
Great finds and looks like a great area. I found a old fairgrounds and am going there tomorrow. Hope I have as much luck as you. HH
 
Awesome, just Awesome, Big silver is always a great thing Happy Hunting, Eric
 
Sweet finds. :hello2: Looks like a fun place to hunt. Good luck on future hunts. :icon_thumright:

HH
 
Those are all nice finds, but I am really drooling over the snake buckle. So unusual!
 
Nice variety of coins. that's the kind of place we dream about finding, should be lots more there. Congrats.
 
Heck of a nice pile of silver!!! I too love that snake buckle!

Keep hitting that spot!
 
Awe man, that's the kinda spot I'm lookin' for! i think it's older than you think. Good luck and keep diggin'.
 
Wow.....now that will get the old ticker pumpin.:icon_thumleft:
 
wow you really raked in the goodies :headbang:
 
very nice finds! Barber half is sweet:occasion14:
 
nice ! I like the snake buckle !
 
looks like that spot will be good to you for a long time! congrats
 
What a plethora of finds! Congrats
 
Looks like the snake buckle had stones in it. I would go back to the spot you dug that with a sifter and see if you can pan em up. Very kool. Keep us posted
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom